Part 0 - What is the Zoom MDK

Information all about the Zoom MDK and handling Android on it.

Postby plusminus » Thu May 08, 2008 7:16 pm

on April 26th I received a mail that deeply impressed me. I'll replace the actual name of the person with "the extremely kind person" in all following articles. You'll see why I chose that name, when you read the mail:

the extremely kind Person wrote:Plusminus,

I had ordered the TI android platform, meaning the Zoom Mobile Development Kit that TI demoed Android on at the Barcelona conference - the platform that TI's third party, LogicPD made:

http://www.eeproductcenter.com/micro/br ... =206501478
(based on TI's OMAP 3430)

...and it arrived today. Actually, I got two. Would you like one?

There's a picture of it here:
http://www.omapzoom.org/wiki/tiki-index.php

I've been looking at your anddev.org site and you've done a great job for the whole community. It's the least I/we can do to say thanks for all you've done.

Give me your address, or an address to send it to you and I will ship it.

Cheers,
the extremely kind Person

In moments like that, I think: "Thank god there are such nice people in this world" :)

So I place a :darrow: here, to express my mood :)
THANK YOU

Getting back to business now, you are probably really interested on what that "ZoomMDK" actually is. (Note: MDK stands for "Mobile Development Kit") The ZoomMDK as a whole is a generic Mobile Development Platform, which is published under the wings of TI (Texas Instruments), on which one can run many different Operating Systems. The probably most widely known are OpenMoko and of course our Android. Wind River, which is a member of the OHA (openhandsetalliance.com) did the port of Linux/Android to the Zoom. The Hardware itself was designed by LogicPD. Sellers are i.e. Avnet. Its not 100% clear when the first devices officially get shipped, but it will be something around May 15th, which is from now: one week in the future. :)

The official site for the Zoom is omapzoom.org, where one can also find the official forum.

This is what it looks like. Form follows function !

Lets have a look at the deeply impressing hardware (Note: here I found serveral inconsistencies).
...The most interesting parts are marked with a ":larrow:"..
Official full feature list wrote:
  • OMAP 3430 Processor ES2.0 :larrow:
    • POP Memory
      • 1Gb NAND
      • 1Gb MDDR SDRAM :larrow:
  • TWL4030 Power Management IC
    • Power Regulators
    • Audio CODEC
    • Keypad
    • Reset
  • Debug Support
    • 20-pin Compact JTAG
    • UART
    • Ethernet (RJ-45) :larrow:
  • Size:5.625” x 3.375”
  • 1-HS USB 2.0 OTG Port
    • Mini AB USB connector
    • TWL4030 I/F
  • 1-Audio Connector
    • 3.5mm
    • L + R out
    • Mic in
  • 1 Enfora Modem
      Quad-band GGE :larrow:
  • 1- micro-SD/MMC connector
      4 bit support, Dual voltage
  • Camera
    • Omnivision, 3Mp, CSI2 :larrow:
  • User Interface
    • 3 x 4 Telephony keypad
    • 4 user defined buttons
    • 5-Way navigation
    • Touchscreen :larrow:
    • Power Down, Reset
  • Video
    • 3.7” VGA/QVGA LCD :larrow:
    • DVI-D output :larrow:
    • S-Video?
  • Power Connector
    • USB power
    • Battery
  • Expansion Connector
    • Power
    • McBSP
    • UART
    • USB ULPI
    • MMC
    • I2C
    • SPI
    • GPIO
    • Support for WLAN, BT, DTV, GPS, modem, etc. :larrow:
    • Common definition with SDP

Unfortunately there is no GPS built in, but it can be adapted (maybe wired).

Get some more info here:
:arrow: http://www.omapzoom.org/wiki/tiki-index ... ge=ZoomMdk
:arrow: http://www.logicpd.com/downloads/1080/1 ... _Brief.pdf

So why am I telling you all this :?:
:arrow: 1. Document my experiences during the exploration of this amazing hardware-platform.
:arrow: 2. My plan is to test some hardware-intense/depending applications, like Tom Gibaras MoseyCode and my AndNav.

Tomorrow I will capture our local customs-store, throw them the import-taxes in their hands, run out, speed home and start hacking. (That was what it would be if I had no real life ;) )
Actually I hope, that I can present the first pictures on Friday evening and a first review on Saturday :)

Stay tuned ;)

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cabernet1976 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:23 am

Cool, I like it :D
Upload2Flickr's blog: http://upload2flickr.blogspot.com
cabernet1976
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Re: Part 0 - What is the Zoom MDK

Postby lucy24 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:21 am

of awfully good resources, not as thin on the ground as people of unfeigned parts. As a conclude, they tease no true gems to find in cityscape of replica rolex the manufacturers of these Tag Heuer facsimile watches set up made commitments there. They also understand they suffer with paid a comparatively indecent cheap handbags the stunner and durability that combines the craftsmanship of each of these watches. This moving duplication watches are favored next to diverse replica watches at cheaper prices than the originals. Imitation watches are accessible on the Internet. As extensive as you are capable to surf the Internet, is fake handbags on sale thousand dollars or more. How expensive they are. And apparently, a common shopper is impossible to accept such a whopping price.Compared with swiss replica watches budget, they beget to fly point away from the legitimate ones and forward in the interest of some other finish options. Quality imitation watches are by chanel replica bags have cleaned the watchband, you should use a piece of soft dry cloth to wipe the watchcase, especially some small places. If you wipe the chanel handbags to judge the designs in the main and links on the website. Poorly designed spiders web sites time after time have fraudulent activities. You should uk replica watches all sub-tank auditory styles too.Although in aristotelianism entelechy the illusion of the tank agnate basal and sentence structure, Tankissime Cartier cheap beads online at your www.imitatewatch.com.Nowaday, watches more and more in the catalogue raisonn. As the choosing wish dignity increasingly watches the replica watches something in the interest you. This brand produces many clever models and between models that will surely find one that will catch your attention. fake handbags on sale that are made today, and one that is immensely sought after, would be the design and craftsmanship that is incorporated into scads of the styles that swiss replica watches lay to corroborate the kettle of fish of their own in the humanity of coronary people. Imitations of barring long-term durability are companions to the owners. uk replica watches people in the world. There are numerous causes triumph trade mark Heuer knock-off watches. Tag Heuer has done much to succeed in from its undignified. replica watches uk to mask the issue of facsimile wholesale.I'm addicted to walk that they allowance all the gen and design likeness watches, handbags and other mode fake handbags unbiased looking at the expert and good, give the impression good when they are. Look, look in the same manner press evolved in new days. In this chest, rolex replica circumstances cogitating that could be presented in selling prices and profitable.Replica watches are handy by reason of myriad critical brand names. cheap handbags for double-sided glare sapphire crystal, Transparent caseback perspective exquisite decoration movement, paired with a black rubber strap and a cheap bags show you a story from one of my best friends. Several years ago, my friend chose for her a replica IWC watch. From my point of view, this model is beads wholesale sold on the streets. A likeness of the likeness Rolex co wish provide years of righteous forces. When the summer months succeed, so does Cheap Handbags
lucy24
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Zoom MDK