Non-Activity Application Entry Point

Put problem concerning Views, Layouts and other XML-Resources (like AndroidManifest) here.

Non-Activity Application Entry Point

Postby stellion » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:44 am

Hi,

I'm looking at creating an entry point for an application that will not extend Activity and run very shortly prior anything, to decide what Activity is actually in need of displaying.

So the question boils down to: is it possible to define a non-activity entry point for an application?

If not, what would be an "Android way" of doing this?

Cheers,
Kacper
stellion
Freshman
Freshman

Postby keylimepai » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:12 pm

First, maybe this got misplaced? It doesn't sound like a View or Layout issue?

But anyway, can you explain more about what you want your application to do? Is it just that it starts up, on demand from the user, checks some things and launches that new application?

Is it that it runs in the background like a daemon and starts applications based on some data it collects?
Is it a menu that fires up other applications?
Is it that it coordinates a bunch of smaller applications?

So yes, I think more information would allow us to better answer the question. =)
keylimepai
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby stellion » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the answer!

Yes, this might be misplaced, this is the first place that came to mind mind as the topic involves views etc.

Basically, what I would like to do:

When the app starts I want it to do some initialization prior to displaying anything (running any activity).

Think of an app that starts and reads information from files eg. credentials. If credentials are present we assume the authorization passed in the last run and the standard Activity is ran. If the credentials file is empty we display the Login Activity.

Cheers.
K.
stellion
Freshman
Freshman

Postby stellion » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Any ideas? :)
stellion
Freshman
Freshman

Return to View, Layout & Resource Problems