Multiple row, or multiple column lists

Put problem concerning Views, Layouts and other XML-Resources (like AndroidManifest) here.

Multiple row, or multiple column lists

Postby francis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:17 am

I'd like to be able to use multiple row and multiple column lists, but there's no suggestion about such an object that I can find in the Android documentation.

For multiple row, either a system where each list entry had 2 rows, or each entry had just one row, but the cursor position is expanded to two rows. Typical application would be a phone book where you see the contact names, and the contact number is extra information.

I'm trying to post an application I was writing for Symbian, Here are two shots of double row, and double column lists I used:

Image Image

For the record I do find Android a much nicer environment than Symbian. Pity there's no "Android for dummies" out yet.
francis
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Multiple row, or multiple column lists

Postby plusminus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:48 am

Hello francis,

What about the TableLayout :?: Pretty similar to HTML-Tables.
(Example: The Christmas-Calendar - A TableLayout with SubActivity)

francis wrote:For the record I do find Android a much nicer environment than Symbian. Pity there's no "Android for dummies" out yet.

Perhaps I know more than you in this issue :P ........."andbook!", will probably be released during my writing process always on the fly and filled with better-structured and extra-explained tutorials here from anddev. :)

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby francis » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:37 pm

PlusMinus,

I've downloaded that example and will try it tonight but am not sure it will help me. I could actually live with 2 column lists if: I could adjust the size of the columns, and the the lists were scrollable. Take the countys list, there's more than 100 of them, and the number is fixed 3 digit (its actually the MCC), while the country name is variable and potentially very long

If you're writing a book, I will buy it even if I don't need it anymore just to thank you for putting up this site.

Easy to see you're German. An advent's calender for a phone. My (German) girlfriend was well impressed.
francis
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:05 pm

Hello francis,
francis wrote:PlusMinus,

I've downloaded that example and will try it tonight but am not sure it will help me. I could actually live with 2 column lists if: I could adjust the size of the columns, and the the lists were scrollable. Take the countys list, there's more than 100 of them, and the number is fixed 3 digit (its actually the MCC), while the country name is variable and potentially very long

You can automatically stretch the columns using this :darrow: xml-attribute of TableLayout. (can be refined by setting a ~"layoutWeight")
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using xml Syntax Highlighting
  1. android:stretchColumns="0,1,3,5"
Parsed in 0.000 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

francis wrote:If you're writing a book, I will buy it even if I don't need it anymore just to thank you for putting up this site.

:) Nice to hear. Up to now there are just 5-6 introducing pages. I'll publicize when it starts getting worth reading ;)
francis wrote:Easy to see you're German. An advent's calender for a phone. My (German) girlfriend was well impressed.

See page-slogan :uarrow: "Imagination is the limit" :)

:lol: All those Dilberts i like them too ^^

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to View, Layout & Resource Problems