Multiple Choice Spinner

Put problem concerning Views, Layouts and other XML-Resources (like AndroidManifest) here.

Multiple Choice Spinner

Postby sunflower » Tue May 12, 2009 3:58 am

Hi,

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE.

How i can use multiple choice spinner. I want to create a dropdown with multiple choice.

Or how can i use multiple choice ListView into spinner.

PLEASE HELP ME.

Thanks
sunflower
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby divestoclimb » Tue May 12, 2009 6:23 pm

You mean like the spinner wheels on the iPhone?

I might be interested in the same thing assuming the design includes a way to integrate support for devices other than touchscreens. The iPhone has a lot of neat-looking widgets which really only work because the availability of a touchscreen is guaranteed, but there could be low-cost Android phones released in the future that don't have them.
divestoclimb
Developer
Developer

Postby sunflower » Wed May 13, 2009 8:45 pm

I am talking about Spinner control with multiple select option. Right now in spinner control by default you can only select on at a time. I want to have functionality in which you can select multiple.

Please Help Me.

Thanks
sunflower
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby divestoclimb » Fri May 15, 2009 2:37 am

The short answer is, as far as I know, that it can't be done.

The longer answer is you would have to create your own widget to get a spinner that could have multiple selections in it, possibly by putting a multi-select ListView into a dialog then add a button for when the user is done selecting items. But this technically is not giving you "A Spinner control with multiple select option" because it's no longer a Spinner at all.

Even if you wanted to do this there would be some significant design decisions to make. For starters, how would your Spinner show you what's been selected on a single line like the Spinner does now with one item? Is this even important in your application? I'm not saying you can't do it, but it's not trivial and would really take some forethought on user interaction before even thinking about implementation.
divestoclimb
Developer
Developer

Return to View, Layout & Resource Problems