Looking for an easy way to make this UI

Put problem concerning Views, Layouts and other XML-Resources (like AndroidManifest) here.

Looking for an easy way to make this UI

Postby AuMatar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:09 am

I'm an android newbie and I'm writing a finance app that needs a very different UI. I'm looking for any help on making it, since I don't really want to write it as a custom view- I've done that for an app I helped port from windows mobile, but only because it was already written to use draw lines and draw rects. I'd like to avoid that here.

Ideal UI:

About 10-15% of the bottom of the screen will be fixed in place for summary information. This will be non-scrollable, have no reaction to clicks, and just have text in columns in different fonts (font color depends on info in the DB)

The top 90% would be a scrollable list with a multi-level tree and 3 or 4 columns of data (like in the summary) for example:

Code: Select all
catagory1         data1  data2
    subcat          data1  data2
    subcat          data1  data2
       subsubcat  data1  data2

again, different colored fonts for different values of data1 and data2. Number of rows is dynamic, depending on data. In an ideal world the catagories and subcategories would be clickable to collapse them. Think of it as kind of like a file hierarchy tree with data on one side.

If absolutely necessary I'll drop the idea of collapsing if it saves me a great deal of coding. Then I can probably use a table layout of some sort. Anyone know of anything thats prebuilt for me? I saw an ExpandableListView, but that seems to have 2 layers of items only, not multiple, and probably wouldn't allow the metadata and font changes.
AuMatar
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Droid123 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:18 pm

Build your layout like this:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
  1. LinearLayout 
  3. ScrollView 
  5. TableLayout 
  7. TableRow 
  9. TableRow 
  11. TextView (or other view that fits your summary field)  

It's fairly easy to build this layout, it's more difficult to customize it, but thats the next step
Droid123
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby AuMatar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:45 pm

That would work for the non-expandable version. I guess for the expandable one I can create a little + and - icons for expanded/not expanded, make a widget that the text goes on that listens for clicks, and alter the number of table rows based on the state. That just seems like a lot more work than I had hoped for. So I guess I write the non-expandable first and see if I care enough to put in real effort.
AuMatar
Freshman
Freshman

Return to View, Layout & Resource Problems