Device Resolution and Quick Questions

Put problem concerning Views, Layouts and other XML-Resources (like AndroidManifest) here.

Device Resolution and Quick Questions

Postby scuba » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:26 am

I'm just getting started here. Hopefully I can pick this up quickly and eventually be a helpful member on this forum, but for now I'm a complete novice. Fine, "noob". :)

A couple of really basic questions:

Are all Android devices the same resolution? And if so, is that just because the devices made so far are made that way or is that something that can be considered good to rely on for the future?

What's a good OS version to target? Is 1.5 or so pretty standard? And will apps made for 1.1-1.6 work fine on a device running 2.0?

Is there a way to open the example projects as a project (or package is it called?) instead of just opening and looking at the individual files? I can't seem to find any master "project" file for anything.

I see a lot of R.something stuff. What is "R"?

Thanks!
scuba
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby qlimax » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:44 am

hi, and welcome :uarrow:

about the screen resolution support I suggest you to read that "official" document http://android-developers.blogspot.com/ ... creen.html

you can import the examples in eclipse by doing
File->New->Android Project

select create project from an existing source
select the example dir e.g: /home/username/android-sdk-linux_x86-1.6_r1/platforms/android-1.6/samples/JetBoy
select finish

:run:

bye
¯`·.¸¸.><((((º>¯`·.¸¸. ><((((º>
qlimax
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to View, Layout & Resource Problems