canvas/surfaceview and layouts.

Put problem concerning Views, Layouts and other XML-Resources (like AndroidManifest) here.

canvas/surfaceview and layouts.

Postby Erykgecko » Sat May 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi Guys,

First off great site, I've only been developing for a couple of days but most of what i've learnt so far has come from this site, so good job.

now, onto business.

I'm trying to put together a UI that includes buttons, texts and images. I've figured out the texts and buttons, and i've managed to get an imageview working that changes the picture when a button is pressed. I'm using a relative view to get my layout.

now i've hit a snag. I want to be able to set up an area of the screen, that displays an image, then, ontop of that image, other images will be placed at specific co-ordinates, which i want to make clickable.

from what i've read initially it seemed i would have to do this using a canvas, however I can't work out a way to set up a canvas from my layout file. I found a tutorial on these forums that creates a drawview class, which I got working to try out the canvas, but I can't seem to incorporate it into my current layout, it will only let me do one or the other. I then found a way to incorporate user defined views into the layout, but when i tried it, it wouldnt recognise the view for some reason.

Further investigation has suggested surfaceview might be more what I am looking for, but I'm not really sure what this does as I can't find a simple to understand tutorial on what it is and what it does exactly.

I'm a bit stumped, I've only been coding for a couple of days but so far its been pretty straightforward up until this point.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or at any good tutorials i could use I would be most grateful :)

Thanks
Erykgecko
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby WarrenFaith » Mon May 18, 2009 9:44 am

Further investigation has suggested surfaceview might be more what I am looking for, but I'm not really sure what this does as I can't find a simple to understand tutorial on what it is and what it does exactly.

I started a tutorial series explaining SurfaceView and today I added the part 3 which deals with the touch events, which you can use to make things "clickable".
Part I: http://www.droidnova.com/playing-with-g ... i,147.html
WarrenFaith

Postby Erykgecko » Mon May 18, 2009 5:53 pm

excellent,

This looks like it should give me a good idea of surfaceview and how i can use it in my app. I'll see if i can run through these tutorials later tonight :)

Thanks
Erykgecko
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to View, Layout & Resource Problems