App Icons?

Put problem concerning Views, Layouts and other XML-Resources (like AndroidManifest) here.

App Icons?

Postby scuba » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 pm

How can I set my app up so it uses a different icon for the Droid than other devices? Since that phone has a different style of icons and they have a different resolution I think it'd be a good idea.
scuba
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby scuba » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm releasing the app soon, and I'd really like to get this solved. Any ideas?
scuba
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby divestoclimb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:06 pm

No ideas here, but just to vent, changing the icon design for a version of Android that hasn't been released to everyone has got to be the dumbest idea since skimping on the G1's internal memory. Google went through all the trouble to build excellent icon design guidelines only to have them broken within months (I won't place the blame on Google, it could have been a Verizon thing).
divestoclimb - Android SCUBA app developer
Android Community | Gas Mixer, ScubaLib, Scuba Tanks | d2c Checklist
All code is open source under Apache license.
divestoclimb
Developer
Developer

Postby divestoclimb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:17 pm

Actually, I do have one idea. Try using the alternate resources framework to create a separate drawable directory for your Android 2.0 icon.

res/drawable-v5/icon.png

Keep the Android 1.x icon in res/drawable/icon.png, then in AndroidManifest.xml specify the icon as R.drawable.icon. It should auto-pick the correct icon, but test it in emulators running different versions to see if it really works.
divestoclimb
Developer
Developer

Postby scuba » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:10 pm

So what is the current way developers are handling this? Just let the icon get up-sized by the os and look blurry? It seems like there would be a standard way to do this - I mean, Google knows that the icons on the Droid are a different size...
scuba
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby divestoclimb » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:47 pm

It sounds like you really have four configurations you want to support, but it just so happens that only two are available on actual devices right now:
SDK < v5, normal DPI; SDK v5, normal DPI; SDK < v5, high DPI; SDK v5, high DPI

The last is the Droid, the first is nearly every other Android phone currently in existence (except the Tattoo), and the middle two don't exist yet.

You can create alternate resource icons for as many of these cases as you want and make each one the correct size and style.
res/drawable-mdpi-v5/icon.png (For non-Droid phones as they are upgraded to Android 2.0; a 32x32 icon in 2.0 theme)
res/drawable-hdpi-v5/icon.png (For the Droid; a 42x42 (?) icon in 2.0 theme)
res/drawable/icon.png (For everyone else; a 32x32 icon in 1.x theme)

As for how I'm handling all this... I'm not.

I don't think this works if you're trying to maintain Android 1.5 compatibility. I have not migrated my apps past Android 1.5 because there are a lot of HTC Hero's out there still stuck on it (especially outside the US). My layouts scale up just fine, but I looked into it and couldn't find an elegant way to add extensive support for multiple screen sizes/densities and also keep 1.5 compatibility at the same time, so I'm just waiting for everyone to be at 1.6 or higher. Android 2.0 users can get by with scaled up icons and layouts in the meantime.
divestoclimb
Developer
Developer

Postby scuba » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:33 pm

That is a good point. I've been trying to find out some information about how many people have 1.5 vs 1.6, but I haven't been able to figure that out so I'm sticking with 1.5 for now.
scuba
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to View, Layout & Resource Problems