A timed AlertDialog?

Put problem concerning Views, Layouts and other XML-Resources (like AndroidManifest) here.

A timed AlertDialog?

Postby Varx » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:54 am

Hi Guys,

I want to make a something like an AlertDialog with no buttons, but I want it to just stay on the screen for a split second and then disappear without any user intervention, for example like how in the Gmail application, if you start to type a reply to a message but then press the back button a little message saying "message saved to Drafts" appears and then disappears quickly.

I saw a few tutorials showing how to do something like this with showAlert() but that method doesn't exist in the new version anymore.

I tried using the alertDialog.Builder but either the dialog would just stay on the screen forever (since there was no cancel button), or the whole activity would freeze and wait for theAlertDialog to dismiss. I want the user to be able to still view my list and use my activity while the dialog is displayed.

Any ideas? I've been searching for like 3 hours and I can't figure it out.

Thanks,
Varx
Varx
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Varx » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:19 am

Well, I figured it out.

The class I was looking for is called Toast. No wonder I never found anything because I kept searching under dialog or notifications, or finding things with showAlert();

-Varx
Varx
Freshman
Freshman

Return to View, Layout & Resource Problems