What kind of dog houses you should buy depends on what kind of dog you have. With the wide variety of styles and price ranges to choose from, you'll have no trouble finding one to fit Fido's personality and size, and your budget. Just read on the following 10 tips:
1. Know that a doghouse should be big enough so that your dog can turn around in it and lie down completely stretched out inside.
2. Be sure the doghouse you select is not too large. Dogs feel more secure in small spaces and in the winter a large space will have too much cold air.
3. Understand that either a wood or plastic doghouse is fine. You can paint a wood house any color you like; the plastic ones tend to be beige.
4. Select a doghouse in any shape you like, as long as your dog will fit. The igloo-shaped huts work as well as rectangular ones.
5. Look for a nice dog house that have venting at the top for air circulation purposes.
6. Realize that some plastic doghouses are insulated and hold warmth better than others. Consider an insulated doghouse if your dog will be outside in winter.
7. Expect to spend at least $50; prices increase with the size of your dog.
8. Ask the salesperson about doghouses with doors. This type will really protect your dog from the elements.
9. Consider building your own doghouse to match the outside of your home.
10. Know that your dog will be happy in whatever style doghouse you select, as long as it's big enough and provides protection from bad weather.
Check out these dog beds and buy a dog bed that will fit inside your doghouse. Be sure your dog has fresh water in the doghouse and that the house is placed in the shade in the summer months. Gradually introduce your dog to the doghouse and use treats or toys to encourage him or her to go inside.