So, you are new to Android?

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

So, you are new to Android?

Postby MrSnowflake » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:58 pm

So, you are new to Android? Awsome, welcome, we hope you have a lot of fun programming, experimenting and having with it.
Oh, you don't know how to get started? Well, no problem, that's what we are here for. We'll help you a little on the way to some awsome multi million Euro/dollar/yen/yuan/rupi/golden coin/... selling application for your favorite platform.

First of all: Do you know java?
No? Well no problem! The first thing you want to do to know how to develop Android applications (well actually they are called task in Android, but you'll learn more about that later, and well, nobody calls them tasks anyway :) ), is learning Java. Sun, the company behind Java, has some awsome tutorials on their site. I'll give you the links to the tutorials you really should go through:
Getting started
Learning the Java language
Essential Java classes (mostly the part about exceptions, you are going to need this!)
And for last mandatory tutorial there's the tutorial about event handling, because without events, there's no GUI!

If you are really serious about Android (and thus Java) development, you should really go through all tutorials there are on the Sun site. This doesn't mean you are going to need every tutorial for android (Like the Swing and AWT), but they teach you a lot of usefull stuff for Java desktop development and good coding practises.

This may seem a lot to read, and well it kinda is, but you should not forget, you are learning how to use a brand new platform here!
As you know Java now, you can read the next section too!

Yes you say? Awsome, then let's go over to the android developers website. First you need to download the SDK. Then when it's done, I have some more stuff to read for you. It's the Android documentation or the "docs". Why should you read them? Well fairly simple, do you still know when you learned to drive? Didn't you have to learn the Traffic laws of your country? And didn't you have to do some exam before you got your drivers licence? This is the same, except there isn't a certificate for Android (yet?), though there are for Java. You can't just start developing Android applications before knowing what Android is or how it works. You should have some basic knowledge of what you're dealing with.

I'll specifically say what you need to read:
What is android? (You don't need to know this in depth, but if you have read this, you have some knowledge about how Android came together.)
Getting Started (This is VERY imporatant. It goes over the basic aspects of Android development. Be sure to read this, and also be sure to do the Notepad tutorial, it might be one of the most important pieces of tutorial there are on Android!)
Developing Applications (Also very important as it explains how to implement User Interfaces, storing/retrieving data and internationalisation)
As with the Java turorials, if you are really serious about developing for Android you should read everything, though I understand if you first want to develop some simple things first, before really diving in to the deep.

Then if you have all this, I have 1 last thing you should do: Start up the emulator (you should have read about this in the gettings started), and start the "Api demo". Then try every single app there is in this api demo, as it has a lot of example applications about basic android stuff, and the best thing: The source of the api demos are in the SDK you downloaded before! This "samples" directory in the SDK is one of the most valuable resources the SDK delivers, as it has hands on examples of a lot of features the SDK delivers to you.

K, so you did everything I sugested? Awsome, then I have a tip for you. As you are developing, you are probably going to need a lot of help using specific features about the SDK. So, one thing almost every developer does, is opening a browser window and leave it open for the duration of your coding time on one of the Reference Information pages.

So now you are almost set. Yes almost, there's a couple more things before you are a real Android Pro, but most of them, you'll learn in the process, but the one I'm going to describe now, is the single most important thing to learn when developing any application for any platform: debugging. Android has pretty good debugging system. When developing an application, you are going to see a lot of these error messages: "The application <task name> has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." This message doesn't say anything about the error which caused the application to to "stop unexpectedly". That's where the Android Log comes in. This log holds information about every thing in the system that logs messages to the log. To see the log, open up a command line window and go to the android sdk's directory and then to tools. Then type in "adb logcat". And you'll see a LOT of text scrolling by. Now, as you should have developed some Java applications before, you'd probably seen Java stackdumps before, so that's what you'll be looking for, to determine what caused the "unexpected stop" of your application.

I hope you are rolling now on this great platform, and I hope to see you on the forums, I'll be glad to help you out when you have some problems. But be sure to search the forums before posting a question and try to help out others with their problems, as that's what forums are all about: helping eachother out.

Have a lot of fun coding!

Greetzzz
MrSnowflake
MrSnowflake

Re: So, you are new to Android?

Postby Danneman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Thanks for setting up a work-plan for us :)

Great tutorials on suns homepage! Probably the best Ive read ever on any language.

The links to the android-tutorial are incorrect, however. It seems they have moved, but you dont get forwarded to the correct site.

- What is Android: http://developer.android.com/guide/basi ... droid.html

- Notepad-tutorial: http://developer.android.com/guide/tuto ... index.html
Danneman
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ePreneur » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:11 am

Hello,

Thanks for the post, it's very helpful! I have a few question though, how well would someone need to know Java to put out a simple app? I'm about to start an extensive Java course, what should I pay extra attention to, to help me with mobile development?

Thank You!
ePreneur
Once Poster
Once Poster

Thanks ^^

Postby Tanwa1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:41 pm

Thank for post.
I'm newbie just begin with android a few days ago \^_^/
Tanwa1234
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby liuzq » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:14 pm

thx
liuzq
Freshman
Freshman

Postby srikanthkodali » Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Srikanth Kodali.
srikanthkodali
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby hkon » Wed May 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Hello, I''m a C#/.NET developer currently working on a personal android project, enjoying it so far. In my usual .NET world I have a lot of third party / open source libraries that makes my life much easier (such as http://automapper.codeplex.com/ Automapper). I was just wondering if there are some open source libraries everyone are using, some frameworks for connecting to db / web serviecs / object mapping / navigation etc etc or just general tools which makes some tedious tasks easier.

And what patterns do you use for handling connections to the database?
I might have been too long in the enterprise world and whenever I don't see n-tier applications without a data access layer, anti corruption layer etc I just cringe. =)
hkon
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby adameve24 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:53 pm

dloaded the android source code nd build it. my emulator is working perfectly fine but application music is not working on it.
Error is - "application music (processcom.android.music) has stopped unexpectedly."
tell me how to enable it.
adameve24
Developer
Developer

Postby wakawaka » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 am

Great piece of information. Keep it up.

Also visit Novice Tutorials Sections. Good tutorials are there.
Android Development Tutorials and Code Snippets: http://forum.gssdaily.com/
wakawaka
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby evons » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Thank you! I am new to android programming
evons
Freshman
Freshman

Postby theblitz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:03 am

Are there new links to the "Getting Started" and "Developing Applications"?
theblitz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby denevell » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Those links no longer work, unfortunately.

All can be found http://developer.android.com/resources/index.html here if anyone is wondering.
denevell
Freshman
Freshman

Postby anniedulce » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for this excellent tutorial and the JAVA Tutorial is nice
Rizecorp Android Development, Android Mobile Apps
anniedulce
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby aguswgs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:13 am

Very interesting tutorial. Keep up the good work friend. Thanks.
aguswgs
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby jacksutton11 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks You very Much!

This is very Nice information for android developers.
jacksutton11
Freshman
Freshman

Next

Return to Other Coding-Problems