Strange Error

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Strange Error

Postby oeN » Tue May 31, 2011 9:00 pm

In one of my apps published on android market i'm having this exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodManager$Stub$Proxy.startInput(IInputMethodManager.java:359)
at android.view.inputmethod.InputMethodManager.startInputInner(InputMethodManager.java:994)
at android.view.inputmethod.InputMethodManager.checkFocus(InputMethodManager.java:1129)
at android.view.inputmethod.InputMethodManager.onWindowFocus(InputMethodManager.java:1158)
at android.view.ViewRoot.handleMessage(ViewRoot.java:1953)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4627)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:858)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:616)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

It seems it occurs before it enters on main activity and I don't know why this is happening. Does any one have any idea?

Can I do any change on my app do give me more information about the error?

thanks
Site: Link
Android apps: Link
oeN
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Strange Error

Postby bxm » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:17 am

Seems like a pretty ambiguous error, is this a multi-threaded application? Are you referencing something in the UI thread that doesn't exist at start-time?
bxm
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby raj_J2ME » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 am

Yeah, I guess the app is referring to some resource which was either not found or was not yet loaded. I would recommend you to share more about your app and its functioning when invoked. How and where it is getting/loading the data from to show the loading or whatever you are showing at the beginning of the app.
Thanks with Regards,
Raj - The Kernel
raj_J2ME
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby oeN » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:48 am

this is not a multi-thread app. And i'm only loading resources on my activity on onCreate method, so everything should resource be ready to be loaded and I shouldn't have this kind of problem.

But it seems that this error is long before the initialization.

This app works ok on emulator and on my phone I even tested on other phone with diferent version and worked ok, but for some reason I'm having this error report on my android app and I don't know what the problem seems to be.

Note on my main activity on onCreate method I'm initializing a TabHost. Can this be the problem?

I will also double check everything to make sure i'm not loading anything wrong. But seems strange...

thanks
oeN
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby raj_J2ME » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:15 am

The best part will be to re-pro the bug/issue raised either on the real device or the emulator. AFA you can not re-pro the issue it will be hard to debug the same. Therefore I would recommend that you ask the complete details about the issue, like :

1. The targeted device
2. Steps to reproduce
3. Frequency of the issue to re-pro

I all the above or the more details can be found, the debugging the issue will be simpler. Then you can start to look into some direction which would help more to find and fix the same.

Check and revert. :)
Thanks with Regards,
Raj - The Kernel
raj_J2ME
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby Tatco Ind » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:02 am

onCreateMethod is getting Null Value. So its giving this error. Try to short out this method. Thanks.
Tatco Ind
Freshman
Freshman

Postby oeN » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:12 am

This error didn't occurred anymore. all I did in eclipse was clean the project and create a new apk.
oeN
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems