Some general and easy questions about coding in Eclipse

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Some general and easy questions about coding in Eclipse

Postby Mag1c » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey,
I've been coding for 2 years in Visual Studio and I recently got my self a Samsung Galaxy S so I thought I should also code for Android (for fun),
But I have a few questions about Eclipse:

1) The most annoying thing: when I type for example "String x" and then when I type "x" and then i press the dot "x." to get the list of options, Eclipse freezes for few seconds and then it gets the list. The same thing happens when I type the first letter after the dot, which Eclipse freezes for ~10 seconds!!!!
I have DualCore 2.66 GHZ, isnt that enough for Eclipse!!?!?

2) In Visual Studio when you start typing, lets say the letter s, a list automatically comes out and displays suggestions like String etc. Is there something like this in Eclipse?

3) To run an app, do I have to always wait the virtual phone to boot? can I just run the app only without the whole android system..

Thanks!
Mag1c
Developer
Developer

Re: Some general and easy questions about coding in Eclipse

Postby m1shk4 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:12 am

1. There is known bug with the Eclipse Content Assist feature working with ADT. Nothing to suggest here :( My own habit is to press Ctrl+Space, invoking Assist hint, AFTER 2-3 letters - it shows instantly.
2. Haven't found that one, too. But since hint is freezing whole IDE, maybe it's better not to have this one :)
3. You can start emulator only ONCE. If there is at least one virtual device available and fully loaded, the app will be built, installed and run automatically, using available device without rebooting it(if there are more than 1, you'll see prompt which one to choose)
m1shk4
Developer
Developer

Re: Some general and easy questions about coding in Eclipse

Postby Mag1c » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks for the help and you time m1shk4! :)
Mag1c
Developer
Developer

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems