SDK on Karmic?

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

SDK on Karmic?

Postby Lee Daniel Crocker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 am

Has anyone gotten the SDK working on Karmic? I can download, unpack, and run the tool, but it just hangs trying to get platforms and add-ons. I can get further on Jaunty, but Jaunty only comes with Eclipse 3.2.
Lee Daniel Crocker
Freshman
Freshman

Postby hardcoras » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm using android 2.0 SDK on Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10). Any problems at all. Everything works like a charm.
hardcoras
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Lee Daniel Crocker » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Doesn't work at all for me. Standard install of 32-bit karmic, added Eclipse (which brings in a lot of the development stuff), and the "android" tool fails to download any platforms or add-ons. When checking the "force http" option and pressing the "save & apply" button, the button stays down and the program hangs.

I suspected it might have something to do with the fact that Karmic uses OpenJDK by default, so I completely removed OpenJDK and installed Sun Java 6. "java -version" confirms that Sun's is the one being run. Exactly the same result. Running "android --verbose" give no help at all.

I suspect that there's some other development tools needed that aren't listed in in the Android SDK's system requirements. If I may ask, which JDK are you running, and what other development packages do you have installed (I installed ant as well)?
Lee Daniel Crocker
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Lee Daniel Crocker » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:47 pm

Ah...just found the post on the google's developer list:

export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true

Gets it working. Now to get Eclipse working...
Lee Daniel Crocker
Freshman
Freshman

Postby peterkirn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:30 pm

Wow, that's really weird. I also got everything running on Karmic with no issue. I wonder what the variable is?

I was pleased to finally have an up-to-date Eclipse in the Ubuntu repositories ('bout time...)

(off-topic) I've had other issues with Ubuntu, though, so thinking about giving Fedora a try... F11 had some serious installer problems but the upcoming release is looking better. I'd of course want to make sure Fedora played nice with all this stuff.
http://peter.noisepages.com
developing art + music apps for android
peterkirn
Freshman
Freshman

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems