Questions about applications in Android Open Source Project

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Questions about applications in Android Open Source Project

Postby bercago » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:58 am

Hi,
I had downloaded the Android Open Source Project,
try to understand the file architecture and the source code of Android native application
(e.g. Browser, Contacts). And I also use adb to see what apk is included in SDK.
I found they are different, so I have following questions...

(1). I can find Calendar folder in Android Open Source Project, but can not find Calendar.apk in SDK,
does that mean the related source code is not compiled and released to (included in SDK) App developers?

(2). Does anyone know how to check/read the "make file" of Android Open Source Project?
We do have Calendar app source code, but in SDK, I can not find Calendar.apk, I guess it is because the
Calendar app is not built. Can we prove my assumption by checking make file?

(3). There is an IM app in the Android Open Source Project and G1, but I can not find IM.apk in SDK, why?

(4). I can find STK folder in Android Open Source Project (/packages/apps) but no STK.apk in SDK, why?

(5). There are Sync, Updater, VoiceDialer folders in Android Open Source Project (/packages/apps),
but no such apks in SDK, why?

(6). Maps.apk can be found in SDK, but where is the source code in Android Open Source Project?

(7). There is a Street.apk in SDK, what is that? I can not find a shortcut on home screen to execute it.

(8). Where is the source code of Street.apk in Android Open Source Project?

(9). What is GoogleApps.apk? How can I launch this application? where is the source code?

Any comment is appreciated.
bercago
bercago
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Questions about applications in Android Open Source Proj

Postby MrSnowflake » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 am

bercago wrote:(1) to (5)
The point of having the source is that you have to compile it yourself. The SDK is for developing your own programs, it has no need for default application packages, like Calendar or IM, as they are supposed to be on the device, and they can't be used to develop with.

bercago wrote:(6). Maps.apk can be found in SDK, but where is the source code in Android Open Source Project?
(7). There is a Street.apk in SDK, what is that? I can not find a shortcut on home screen to execute it.
They aren't in the SDK, they are on the emulator, just for demo purposes.

bercago wrote:(8). Where is the source code of Street.apk in Android Open Source Project?

(9). What is GoogleApps.apk? How can I launch this application? where is the source code?
Not everything is opensource. Google Earth for desktops isn't open source either, so why woul Google Maps or streets be?

Btw the emulator isn't considered the 'SDK', the SDK is the whole package which enables you to develop and debug applications for the Android platform.
MrSnowflake

Postby bercago » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:52 am

Hi MrSnowflake,
Thanks for your reply!
Some more questions...

(1). About Streets.apk, if it is for demo purpose, how can I execute it?
(2). Do you know what is "GoogleApps.apk"? I am curious about its functionality.
(3). About google calendar, I found some discussion on another forum, it says the API of google calendar is not available right now (in SDK 1.0), does it mean we can not use Google Calendar? If it is true, why we got Calendar source code on Android Open Source Project?
http://groups.google.com/group/android- ... 4542b4b548

Jean-Baptiste Queru
I'll try to simplify.

In a nutshell, the com.google.* APIs are Google-specific add-ons that
are not part of the Android core. Those APIs won't be present on all
Android devices, and aren't ready to be officially supported as public
Google-specific APIs.

JBQ

Thanks for your help
bercago
bercago
Freshman