Possible to edit stock applications? Parsing error.

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Possible to edit stock applications? Parsing error.

Postby flipz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Hey all. I have a CDMA HTC Hero. I am wanting to do some modifications to some stock applications. I easily change the images around by extracting the apk and editing the images from /res/drawable.

My question is what if I want to do more. The first thing I've noticed is that if I try viewing AndroidManifest.xml in a text editor it just shows up as gibberish. If I try importing it as a project in to eclipse then I either tells me there is no project, or errors saying that it can't parse the xml (depending on where I go to try and import it).

Based on the fact that the AndroidManifests are gibberish, is it possible that these are encrypted in some way which is also why I can't import it in to eclipse? Or are they not readable outside of the IDE and really I have a different problem going on. I also tried extracting some random apk's that I got from the marketplace but they all look the same and get the same errors.

The actual error is:
New < Android Project < Create Project from Existing Source

"File c:\[folders]\AndroidManifest.xml could not be parsed" is displayed at the top of the new project window.

Back in the console I see: com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.project.AndroidManifestParser]Parser exception for C:\[folders]\AndroidManifest.xml: Content is not allowed in prolog.
flipz
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems