No android-sdk-windows\platforms!

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

No android-sdk-windows\platforms!

Postby plnelson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:55 am

I'm installing and configuring Eclipse Galileo 3.52 on a PC following the instructions on http://developer.android.com/sdk/eclipse-adt.html

All the steps in "Downloading the ADT Plugin" go fine with no errors. But when I get to the next step "Configuring the ADT Plugin" it fails when I set my SDK location, saying that it can't find android-sdk-windows\platforms.

I'm using the android-sdk_r06-windows SDK and the Readme file says, "The Android SDK archive now only contains the tools. It no longer comes populated with a specific Android platform or Google add-on. Instead you use the SDK Manager to install or update SDK components such as platforms, tools, add-ons, and documentation

So How how I do this? I tried running the SDK Setup.exe in the SDK and I got the same error:

[INFO] Starting Android SDK and AVD Manager
    Error: Error parsing the sdk.
    Error: C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\My Documents\SW\AndroidSDK\android-sdk-windows\platforms is missing.
    Error: Unable to parse SDK content.

Thanks in advance!
plnelson
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: No android-sdk-windows\platforms!

Postby blundell » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Have you tried just creating the folder /platforms/ then running SDK Setup.exe
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby plnelson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:00 pm

blundell wrote:Have you tried just creating the folder /platforms/ then running SDK Setup.exe

I've been tempted but I want to do this "by the book" the way the SDK team intended, because I'm writing a "getting started" document for some students.

So before I give up and create it manually, what is the "right" step in the installation or configuration where the platforms folder is supposed to get created in the installation/configuration process?

N.B. that I'm using the Galileo 3.52 version of Eclipse (because that's what the project I'm on is using). Is it possible that the SDK and AVD Manager in that version isn't compatible with the new SDK that doesn't come with "platforms"? Thanks in advance!
plnelson
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby blundell » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Ok ok start again then.

I've heard of issues with Helios32 but not Galileo.

If your writing an install guide, I wouldn't recommend the path you installed in. Try again with c:/android_sdk
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby plnelson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:38 pm

blundell wrote:Ok ok start again then.

I've heard of issues with Helios32 but not Galileo.

If your writing an install guide, I wouldn't recommend the path you installed in. Try again with c:/android_sdk

I tried C:\SDKs\android_sdk (I avoid putting things at the very tippy-top C: level, to minimize clutter), and that WORKED! (Thank you!)

I wasn't planning to tell the students to put their SDK's under My Documents like I did , but on the other hand I wasn't planning to tell them where not to put it either. But I guess I'll have to. I wasn't aware that there were any location dependencies as long as the path variable was defined appropriately. I can't imagine why it would care unless some script is stumbling over the space between "My" and "Documents" like some DOS batch files used to back in the day.

Anyway, thanks again.
plnelson
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby blundell » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:16 am

No problem,

It may be a space in the path name, or just the sheer length of the path!
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems