Message "Emulator quits on error!" , please help

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Message "Emulator quits on error!" , please help

Postby Kipu » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:46 pm

I´ve followed all the instructions to install Android; using Eclipse eclipse-java-europa-fall2-win32
on Windows XP. When I hit Run on the Hello Android example app, a dialog box pops up telling me that the emulator has quit on error! (including the exclamation mark...). Has anybody run into this problem? Please advise cuzz I have no clue.
Thanks,
Kipu
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:45 am

Hello Kipu,

The general possibility/solution is to directly run emulator.exe from the command line in the tools directory and then see what error pops up.

On some people it happens because of Low Memory on some because there are already some zombie-emulators running in the background.

Let us know if it helped.

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kipu » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi plusminus,

Thanks for your answer. In windows, i run it from the command line; same results. I have plenty of memory. If i should start over from scratch, should i uninstall eclipse too? ALso, since the sdk is an nzup file, i just delete it?

Thanks for your time,
Kipu
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:13 pm

Hello Kipu,

that SDK was just a zip-File, but running the emulator for the first time, created an image-file in your WindowsUser-Folder, like on Vista: "C:UsersplusminusAppDataLocalAndroid".

Removing Eclipse is not dangerous, because its settings are also saved in a similar folder like above. You should save your workspace of course :!: . Plugin-Settings normally are saved also to a "safe" folder in your User-Directory, but the Plugins themselves have to be reinstalled.

Starting with Android I made a complete reset of my Eclipse and Plugins, as somehow too many plugins were installed and Eclipse became buggy and laggy. :roll:

Regards,
plusminus

PS: As Eclipse also doesn't really install itself (it also comes within a zip-file) overriding could be enough, but as perhaps some files remain, where they should not be...
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

low memory:No more background process

Postby Archana » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:46 am

Hi plusminus,

I am facing low memory issue in my app.It exiting automatically after
showing this error message
in logcat
log - INFO/ActivityManager(56): Low Memory: No more background
processes.

can you tell me how to solve this.Intially i was using drawable images in xml ,I removed it from xml and put it in
java...But still that error occuring.. I also tried setforeground(true)..but no use.Please help me
Archana
Archana
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems