Maps doesn't work

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Maps doesn't work

Postby wageesha » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:46 pm

I am behind a proxy and I've set the proxy details correctly. Browser works well, I can go to any page. but when I try to view Map application it doesn't work. No map is displayed and only a white screen with the tiny dot in the middle.
using ubuntu,eclipse and it was so for rc3 and rc5 too. please give me a solution.
wageesha
wageesha
Freshman
Freshman

Postby bavarol » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:17 pm

Have you tried to change the Network configuration on eclipse?
bavarol
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

doesn't work yet

Postby wageesha » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:37 pm

Although proxy settings in eclipse are set, it still work only the browser. Maps doesn't work. anyway thanks for the reply.
wageesha
wageesha
Freshman
Freshman

Postby bluefloyd8 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Try dragging the map. Several times, randomly, the map wont load but when i drag the map a little bit, it will get drawn.

If that does not work, you could try using one of the apps PlusMinus made (like this one http://www.anddev.org/basic_map-application-t24.html) to make sure that it is your emulator thats not working; and not your code.
bluefloyd8
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby venkat » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:02 pm

bluefloyd8 wrote:Try dragging the map. Several times, randomly, the map wont load but when i drag the map a little bit, it will get drawn.

If that does not work, you could try using one of the apps PlusMinus made (like this one http://www.anddev.org/basic_map-application-t24.html) to make sure that it is your emulator thats not working; and not your code.

me too same problem. still i can't open map . can you guys help me to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance, :)
Regards,
Venkat.
venkat
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby bluefloyd8 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:50 pm

Did dragging make the map show?
Did you try using one of the other map apps?
bluefloyd8
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Hi Venkat

Postby wageesha » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:54 pm

I got a solution for that issue. It works for me. I think the reason for not showing maps is proxy settings for the emulator is not set properly. By inserting proxy in settings.db, we set the proxy for the browser only. it neither set the proxy for map nor GTalk.
In windows there is a software, Proxifier which can be used to direct all the network request to a user specified proxy. It direct all the requests to the specified proxy. Here we don't want to set any proxy settings in the emulator. http://www.proxifier.com/.

But for ubuntu i didn't get a solution yet. Hope you would try having Squid proxy server running in your own machine
configured to direct all the requests going out from your machine to the parent proxy i.e. your real proxy.
regards,
wageesha
wageesha
Freshman
Freshman

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems