extending Android DDMS Plugin

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

extending Android DDMS Plugin

Postby Matth3wnet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:06 pm

Hello,
i want to extend the Android DDMS Plugin.
I followed all steps on http://tools.android.com/build/eclipse and the further sites.

Every time I start the orginal, unchanged "ddms-plugin" Project as Eclipse Application, i get this warning:
„Could not open Selected VM debug port (8700). Make sure you do not have another instance of DDMS or of the eclipse plugin running. If it´s being used by something else, shoose a new port number in the preferences”
AFAIK it´s ok to ignore this warning, because there are two Eclipse instances with a DDMS-Plugin.

But after i start an Android Application, i get the warning:
„Can´t bind to local 8700 for debugger“
What could cause this warning?
Typical solutions like adding localhost in the hosts-file or 10.0.2.2 as ADB-Host doesnt help.
The port is also available.

In the first instance of eclipse there is no warning at all in the ddms-plugin.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Matth3wnet
Matth3wnet
Freshman
Freshman

Re: extending Android DDMS Plugin

Postby Justin Buser » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Seriously? How could you possibly expect to "extend the Android DDMS Plugin" when you clearly have no idea how it works? You answered your own question with "there are two Eclipse instances with a DDMS-Plugin", on top of having the plugin tell you in plain English exactly what the problem is. Two different daemons can't manage the same traffic on the same port man, that's should just be basic common sense for anyone who's got even a modicum of development experience.

Matth3wnet wrote:Hello,
i want to extend the Android DDMS Plugin.
I followed all steps on http://tools.android.com/build/eclipse and the further sites.

Every time I start the orginal, unchanged "ddms-plugin" Project as Eclipse Application, i get this warning:
„Could not open Selected VM debug port (8700). Make sure you do not have another instance of DDMS or of the eclipse plugin running. If it´s being used by something else, shoose a new port number in the preferences”
AFAIK it´s ok to ignore this warning, because there are two Eclipse instances with a DDMS-Plugin.

But after i start an Android Application, i get the warning:
„Can´t bind to local 8700 for debugger“
What could cause this warning?
Typical solutions like adding localhost in the hosts-file or 10.0.2.2 as ADB-Host doesnt help.
The port is also available.

In the first instance of eclipse there is no warning at all in the ddms-plugin.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Matth3wnet
Justin Buser
Freshman
Freshman

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems