Emulator starts, nothing is displayed

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Emulator starts, nothing is displayed

Postby jrambharose » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Im developing an app for api level 9 using version 2.3.3 as my target. I used the xml layout to display a few widgets which show up in the graphical layout menu and added some code to change text values when things update. When i run the app its just blank with Android printed near the center.
jrambharose
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Emulator starts, nothing is displayed

Postby jdrefahl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 pm

the emulator takes awhile to load.. and being that you are actually seeing "Android" then it probably is taking forever to load..

how usually it works is first it will show a courier font "Android".. then switch to the "Tronish" looking font. Then finally you will get a lock screen. This could take up to 3-5 minutes depending on your set up.. Eclipse is really a beast when it comes to emulators.

I would suggest checking the DDMS debugger.. See if there are system messages being sent to the Emulator.. You should see it loading up all the libraries.

Honestly though your best bet is to just test on your device.. It's click, load, watch.. click, load, watch. makes development go a whole lot faster!

- John
John Drefahl
Massive Media / Soundclash Media
"Changing the world, one app at a time"
http://www.twitter.com/johnsin
jdrefahl
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby jrambharose » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:37 pm

My device wont be able to run this app, its a 2.2 os. But yea, waiting awhile and now i see it changed to a different font. Will this always be this slow? I guess i should invest in a more high-end phone.

Edit
So i was staring at the flashy android text waiting for something to happen, but i had an error via the console.

[2011-03-02 13:36:35 - and_MyEqualizer] Installing and_MyEqualizer.apk...
[2011-03-02 13:39:03 - and_MyEqualizer] Failed to install and_MyEqualizer.apk on device 'emulator-5554!
[2011-03-02 13:39:03 - and_MyEqualizer] (null)
[2011-03-02 13:39:03 - and_MyEqualizer] Launch canceled!
jrambharose
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jdrefahl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:04 pm

yeah, no worries.. Sometimes if you move too fast it will botch the install.. I usually just hit Run Config over again and it installs.. It just hangs up sometimes.. Its also good to check to see if there is an instance running in the DDMS debugger.. you can kill the process in there..

If you get a "Cant install because already installed" error.. Then on your device or on the emulator.. go to Settings, applications, manage applications.. and then find the app.. you can force stop it and uninstall it here if you dont' want to be bothered with command line.

If you do end up in command line.. don't get messed up with the change from /tools to /platform-tools to find adb or whatever it is you need to install and uninstall by command line.

yeah ahh.. the emulator just blows.. but I understand.. most of the devices our there are 2.1.1.. I have just stopped developing for under 2.1r1 altogether..

john
John Drefahl
Massive Media / Soundclash Media
"Changing the world, one app at a time"
http://www.twitter.com/johnsin
jdrefahl
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems