Emulator speed comparison with real phone

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Emulator speed comparison with real phone

Postby Tavo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Hello, I'm starting to develop a game for android with OpenGL but I don't have a real phone to test it. I can use the emulator but I would like to know the difference in processing power in the emulator with, say, the G1. Are there any benchmarks tools that could be used to determine how the emulator compares to it in terms of rendering and processing performance?

Apart from that, which is the device to "aim to" when developing games in terms of performance? It suppose would be wrong to aim to the G1 if most of new Android devices will have a slower CPU and no Accelerated OpenGL.

Thanks in advance!
Tavo
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby Oleg » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 am

Hi.
You can create emulator specification the same as phone specification.
You need 3 things:
1) Find android phone specification (CPU, memory,...)
2) Visit this page http://developer.android.com/guide/deve ... #createavd
3) read how to create custom specification and create one
Oleg
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Emmanuel7 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:56 am

As you have already guessed, it is quite hard to answer this question, because Android hardware is not defined, and can be virtually anything.

But as a start, you can say that :
* the G1 is supposed to be the lowest phone Android shoud be ported to. As phone are getting better and better, it should stay true ( for raw CPU power, as some spec may still be lower, like the screen resolution on the Tattoo ).
* I think ( but I can be wrong) that the performance on the emulator depends on your computer. In my case, the emulator is a little slower than the G1.
* For openGL, the emulator is notably slow ! So expect a big speed up no real device...

Hope it can help you as a start,
Emmanuel7
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems