Emulator extremely slow

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Emulator extremely slow

Postby FlagellumDei » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:24 am

I've started to port one of our iPhone games to the Android platform, and run into a problem. The emulator is painfully slow while debugging! Running the game without the debugger is about 3 times faster. I'm using the latest SDK with the latest Eclipse version on my Mac (tried on Windows too with the same results). Are you guys experiencing the same? Is there any solution for this? This makes developing games impossible for the Android!

Just to compare: the iPhone version has 60 fps and the Android version has 1-2 frames per second!

Unfortunately I don't have a device yet so I can't try running it on a real device and debugging on it. Do you think that an android device would help?
FlagellumDei
Freshman
Freshman

Postby qaoz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:15 pm

I assume you are using OpenGL? I have some problems with the performance of the emulator using OpenGL, that will become an issue for me later. As far as I can tell the biggest problem is texture mapping - two triangles with a texture that fills the whole screen (a background) is enough to make the emulator slow (5-10 fps). For now I have "solved" the problem by having alternate, simplified draw modes for my objects while I am running in the emulator.

I expect the G1 and other hardware devices to perform well in OpenGL - it is probably just an issue with the emulation. I would really love to hear if anyone has been able to get good performance using texture-mapping in the emulator.
qaoz
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby FlagellumDei » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Yes, I'm using OpenGL, but generally everything is painfully slow. I hope that this will be fixed in some (near) future SDK release, 1.5 maybe?
FlagellumDei
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Emmanuel7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:53 am

Even in my non OpenGL game, I noticed a important performance difference in the emulator with or without a debugger attached !
As for the real device, it is another beast again !

And one final point : iPhone performances should be much higher than Androids one, because you run native code on iPhone.
Emmanuel7
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems