Emulator doesn't work after msg-"sad result from adb&qu

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Emulator doesn't work after msg-"sad result from adb&qu

Postby pranav09 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,

When i use the Google APIs Google Inc. sdk 1.6, i generally, got the error in the console of eclipse. Actually, after running the emulator some time and even after 1 or 2 hours, i generally got the msg "sad result from adb" and after that emulator won't work and than i am not able to run any application onto the emulator.

Have anybody any idea regarding this issue?

I am waiting for your suggestions.

Thanks.

Regards,
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby jonw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:16 am

If I could get Eclipse and the emulator to speak nicely to each other for a whole 2 hours without restarting them, I would be a happier coder :)
jonw
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby pranav09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:19 am

Hi jonw,

Thanks for your reply but still i m facing same problem.

Well, let see what happen.

Regards,
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby jonw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Sorry, to be more clear, a web search reveals "sad result from adb" seems to be thrown by an IOException in Android Project source according to this very long web page on android.git.kernel.org

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1. /**
  2.  * Helper class to handle requests and connections to adb.
  3.  * <p/>{@link DebugBridgeServer} is the public API to connection to adb, while {@link AdbHelper}
  4.  * does the low level stuff.
  5.  * <p/>This currently uses spin-wait non-blocking I/O. A Selector would be more efficient,
  6.  * but seems like overkill for what we're doing here.
Parsed in 0.030 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

(^lulz)
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1.  */
  2. final class AdbHelper {
  3. ...
  5.     /**
  6.      * Execute a command on the device and retrieve the output. The output is
  7.      * handed to "rcvr" as it arrives.
  8.      */
  9.     public static void executeRemoteCommand
  10. ...
  11.            if (!resp.ioSuccess || !resp.okay) {
  12.                Log.e("ddms", "ADB rejected shell command (" + command + "): " + resp.message);
  13.                throw new IOException("sad result from adb: " + resp.message);
  14.             }
Parsed in 0.032 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

AdbHelper seems to do with ADB & DDMS, the Dalvik Debug Monitor Server.

Android ships with a debugging tool called the Dalvik Debug Monitor Server (DDMS), which provides port-forwarding services, screen capture on the device, thread and heap information on the device, logcat, process, and radio state information... DDMS acts as a middleman to connect the IDE to the applications running on the device. On Android, every application runs in its own process, each of which hosts its own virtual machine (VM). And each process listens for a debugger on a different port.

Whenever I've seen that error (rarely, in my case) ddms/the emulator does not seem able to recover from it, and it's unclear if it was caused by exceptions in my code, cos when I restart everything the code seems to run fine.

What I was trying to get at in my previous post was, the whole system is wobbly anyway -- Eclipse is not fast in the first place, and over the course of 1-2 hours gradually reduces the UI to a crawl, and then I have to quit it & the emulator. Sometimes on first run it just seems unable to connect to emulator, and I have to restart it. There's loads of little issues.

Like my friends who use Eclipse for non-droid work, on OS X and Windows, I just live with restarting the whole lot every 1-2 hours.

Sorry, I don't have any helpful hints Pranav :(
jonw
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems