Emulator can't find AVD

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Emulator can't find AVD

Postby highplainsjames » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:53 pm

Any tips on helping the emulator find the AVD file?

I have tried creating an AVD through the command line and through the Eclipse manager. The command line utility and UI utility both report that the AVD exists. However, they both fail to run with the same error message:

unknown virtual device name

I really don't understand why I can set up an AVD in the UI and when I next select it and tell it to "Start", then it fails.

Here's an image of the problem if it helps:

Image
highplainsjames
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Top

Postby paralight » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:50 pm

try copy your .android from D:\My Documents to c:\users\YOURNAME\
paralight
Once Poster
Once Poster
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Postby highplainsjames » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but your solution does not really apply.

First off, my .android folder does not reside under D:My Documents. It actually creates the .android folder under another user's folder on my machine C:usersowen.

Second, I have tried moving the .android folder without any luck.

With the current setup, I think that the folder that points to the AVD is always created in a set location and is expected to reside there. When you provide a path attribute when creating the AVD, the actual AVD file is created in the location that you specify. However, the file that points the way to the AVD file is still created in the default location (in my case this is under C:usersowen).

The android setup works fine on my home machine where there's only one user. On my work machine where there are multiple user accounts, the setup fails. I have seen other folks that have posted similar issues when their default user folder has special characters. Unfortunately I have not seen any solutions for updating the default location for the file that points to the AVD file.
highplainsjames
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Any tips on helping the emulator find the AVD file?

Postby KevinJCourtney » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:15 am

Hello James,

Did you have any luck getting the emulator find the AVD file?

I'm struggling with this same problem and having no luck so far.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin




highplainsjames wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but your solution does not really apply.

First off, my .android folder does not reside under D:My Documents. It actually creates the .android folder under another user's folder on my machine C:usersowen.

Second, I have tried moving the .android folder without any luck.

With the current setup, I think that the folder that points to the AVD is always created in a set location and is expected to reside there. When you provide a path attribute when creating the AVD, the actual AVD file is created in the location that you specify. However, the file that points the way to the AVD file is still created in the default location (in my case this is under C:usersowen).

The android setup works fine on my home machine where there's only one user. On my work machine where there are multiple user accounts, the setup fails. I have seen other folks that have posted similar issues when their default user folder has special characters. Unfortunately I have not seen any solutions for updating the default location for the file that points to the AVD file.
KevinJCourtney
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 am

Any tips on helping the emulator find the AVD file?-Solution

Postby KevinJCourtney » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:52 pm

The solution for me was to define a global environment variable called ANDROID_SDK_HOME and set it to f:.android (or where ever your “.android” folder is)

To do that: Start > Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced Tab/System Settings > Environment Variables button > “New” User variable

Kevin


highplainsjames wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but your solution does not really apply.

First off, my .android folder does not reside under D:My Documents. It actually creates the .android folder under another user's folder on my machine C:usersowen.

Second, I have tried moving the .android folder without any luck.

With the current setup, I think that the folder that points to the AVD is always created in a set location and is expected to reside there. When you provide a path attribute when creating the AVD, the actual AVD file is created in the location that you specify. However, the file that points the way to the AVD file is still created in the default location (in my case this is under C:usersowen).

The android setup works fine on my home machine where there's only one user. On my work machine where there are multiple user accounts, the setup fails. I have seen other folks that have posted similar issues when their default user folder has special characters. Unfortunately I have not seen any solutions for updating the default location for the file that points to the AVD file.
KevinJCourtney
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 am

Top

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests