Eclipse won't start Apps in emulator

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Eclipse won't start Apps in emulator

Postby AnotherDroid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Hey guys,
today I wanted to try some easy coding for Android like "Hello World" or a first easy calculator. I've been using eclipse for a long time to code C and lately also Java. Everything works fine. So I installed the Android SDK Tools and the Android Development Tools in Eclipse (Android DDMS, Android development tools, Android Hierarchy Viewer). Eclipse shows no errors and compiles the code well. It can even start the emulator.exe which works fine but it does not install or launch any app in the emulator.
Strangely enough Eclipse does not show any running virtual Android devices regardless of wether I start the AVD directly from Eclipse or from Windows. I cannot choose a running Android device from the list.... It's empty.
If I let eclipse launch a new Android Virtual Device it starts up well but well .. doesnt start any app. The console says:
Code: Select all
[2011-02-07 20:02:32 - HelloAndroid] ------------------------------
[2011-02-07 20:02:32 - HelloAndroid] Android Launch!
[2011-02-07 20:02:32 - HelloAndroid] adb is running normally.
[2011-02-07 20:02:32 - HelloAndroid] Performing com.example.helloandroid.HelloAndroid activity launch
[2011-02-07 20:02:48 - HelloAndroid] Launching a new emulator with Virtual Device 'dsfsdf'

Here a screenshot of a running Android virtual device (started from windows) and the empty "running devices" list in eclipse (it makes no difference if I launch the AVD from eclipse or windows - the list stays empty).
http://img132.imageshack.us/f/noavd.jpg

I tried starting both eclipse and the emulator as an administrator. I also tried installing the 64 bit eclipse version and 64 bit JRE. Nothing works for me. Do you have any clue what I can do?

ps.: I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I also checked wether I'm coding for the 'right' Android version and starting the right virtual device. both is set to 2.1
AnotherDroid
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Eclipse won't start Apps in emulator

Postby AnotherDroid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 pm

Just tried to run the application on my Motorola Defy via USB-Debugging! Works perfectly! Eclipse instantly recognized the running device. So why doesn't it show a running emulator .... I'm clueless! Please help
AnotherDroid
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Eclipse won't start Apps in emulator

Postby AnotherDroid » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:09 am

I deinstalled and reinstalled everything: Java, Eclipse (erased workspace as well), Android SDK. For Java I installed both the JRE and JDK as a 64 bit version. Probably I had the JDK installed as a 32 bit version or something like that. Anyways now everything works perfectly. I don't know exactly why but I'm glad.
AnotherDroid
Freshman
Freshman

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems