Eclipse, ADT and subclipse problem

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Eclipse, ADT and subclipse problem

Postby Kylearan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:31 am

Hi,

I've got a huge problem: Under Linux (Kubuntu 9.04), the Android plugin for Eclipse doesn't seem to work together with the subclipse (or subversive) plugin. If I install both, regardless which I install first, the ADT plugin no longer works. The "Android" tab in Preferences is gone, and I cannot create Android projects. Eclipse still lists ADT and DDMS as its plugins, though.

Under Windows, it works fine.

A Google search turned up that I'm not the only one with that problem, but it doesn't seem to affect all Linux users - there are only a couple of posts about this on the whole net. So, has anyone any idea how to solve this issue? Or are there other Linux users working with ADT and subclipse successfully?

I'd *really* like to develop my App under Linux, and I need SVN...

Thanks,

-Kylearan
Kylearan
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:14 am

Top

Same with git

Postby andrew_esh » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:42 pm

I ran into the same problem when I tried to add git support to Eclipse 3.5 (Gallileo). It turned out that the git package I was trying to add was actually for Eclipse 3.3 or 3.4, and was pulling in a lot of package dependencies that were downgrading a lot of the menu functionality. Those downgrades made it impossible for the ADT plugin to work. This sounds like what subversion is doing to you.

What I had to do was uninstall Eclipse, reinstall it, install ADT, and not install git. I'll add git later when there is a package which supports Galileo.

I realize this is not the answer you probably wanted, but it's what worked for me.
Andrew Esh
andrew_esh
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: Minnetonka, MN

Re: Same with git

Postby Kylearan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi,

andrew_esh wrote:I ran into the same problem when I tried to add git support to Eclipse 3.5 (Gallileo). It turned out that the git package I was trying to add was actually for Eclipse 3.3 or 3.4

That doesn't seem to be the problem, as both ADT and subclipse specifically state that they would work with Galileo (and do so individually). Plus, they both work together fine in the Windows version of Galileo. :( EDIT: And using Ganymede instead of Galileo didn't help either...

Thanks for your reply anyway. The few people I've found on the net having the same problem didn't find a solution as well, so it looks like I'm stuck with being forced to develop on Windows. :cry:

-Kylearan
Kylearan
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:14 am

Linux

Postby andrew_esh » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:41 pm

I forgot to say that I'm doing all this on Gentoo Linux. The packages available there are somewhat homespun, so my results might be odd.

As far as Windows goes, I've been able to get the SDK working there, as well as the USB driver, so I can monitor the event log, and dump a little info about an application if it happens to be debuggable. I'm a Linux person, however, and I need to be able to use Linux tools for things like browsing kernel source code. For that reason I do everything I can on Linux.

I might be talked into going to Mac OS X, though. That seems to be popular with the Google folks.
Andrew Esh
andrew_esh
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: Minnetonka, MN

Re: Same with git

Postby barkausen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:56 pm

Kylearan wrote:Hi,
[...]

Plus, they both work together fine in the Windows version of Galileo. :( EDIT: And using Ganymede instead of Galileo didn't help either...

[...]
-Kylearan


I have Galileo on windows (vista) and i can`t use the ADT plugin.
I can`t figure out what is the problem: Eclipse installs it without errors, but when I restart eclipse I`m unable to create a new Android project and the "android" tab in Window>Preferences isn`t present.
I updated Galileo and it says that there`s nothing to update. :/

===
I deleted completely Eclipse and reinstalled it (deleted .metadata, .eclipse, and the eclispe folder).
Now the plugin works O.o
barkausen
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:59 am

Postby barkausen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I finally understood the problem:

One of my favourite plugin, Metrics (http://metrics.sourceforge.net/), apparently installs something that is not compatible with ADT.
This make me so sad, becouse that plugin was one of my favourite eclipse plugins :/

Anyway i hope that this helps anyone who had this problem
barkausen
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:59 am

Top

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests