[Solved] Application wont update

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

[Solved] Application wont update

Postby fanar » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:46 am

I am a new android developer and I have setup the eclipse plugin for the development. I was able to successfully follow the Hello Android and few other tutorials. However one persistant problem that I have been facing is that whenever I change the code or the xml layout files the emulator does not reflect it. The application on the emulator does not change to reflect the new code.I dont know what im doing wrong. To run my application I just click the Run button in eclipse and the emulator opens up.

So far the only way I have been able to get the emulator to update the application was by removing it through the adb shell, closing eclipse, killing the adb process and opening eclipse again.

I really hope there is a much easier way because this has been very frrustrating so far.
Is there an easier way to update the applications without going through all that? I would appreciate any help possible :D
fanar
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:32 pm

Hello fanar,

this is a really wide-spread problem. As far as I know there is no "one for all"-solution out there.

Some succeed in reinstalling the ADT.
Some in starting an emulator-instance before Eclipse does and then "reuse" that instance.
Some succeed in clearing the emulator (Link). <-- Could help if you upgraded SDK to the current version(m3-rc37a).
Some in killing the adb.exe pretty often o_O .

We can hope on the next update.

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fanar » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:18 pm

thank you for the reply and I am glad its not just me with the problem. I was wondering how you "reuse" the same emulator because my eclipse seems to open a new emulator or just ignore the Run when i try it.
fanar
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:41 pm

Hello fanar,

with me (doesn't mean with everybody else, because of the early release of the SDK) I can make Eclipse reuse an existing Emulator, by:

Starting one Emulator with Eclipse (or from 'outside'), then killing the adb.exe from TaskManager :!: and then :run: ning again. This is when I get asked if I want to reuse the 'old' one.

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems