Android SDK r8 broke emulator networking

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Android SDK r8 broke emulator networking

Postby s_p_oneil » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:59 pm

I had been developing and testing with the Android SDK r7 for a few months, and everything had been working fine (mostly). When r8 came out, I decided to upgrade to it to see what was new and to get the built-in support for proguard. It seemed great until I realized that my emulators no longer had network access.

I have searched the web for solutions to this problem, and none of the suggestions have worked. A lot of other developers have complained of emulator "no connection" problems, but no one seems to have linked the problem to r8 (which is why I'm posting this as a new thread as opposed to adding my two cents to existing threads).

I've tried all of these (though none of them were necessary when using r7):
* Disabling all other network interfaces (i.e. VirtualBox, VPN)
* Running netsh and disabling: ipv6, 6to4, teredo, isatap, etc.
* Changing advanced network connection options to make sure the primary interface is at the top of the list
* Rebooting (hey, sometimes it actually works ;-)
* Changing my DNS settings back and forth between static and dynamic
* Installing an HTTP proxy and running the emulator with "emulator.exe -http-proxy"
* Specifying the DNS server with "emulator.exe -dns-server"
* Using "Run as Administrator"

I'm running:
* Windows 7 (x64)
* jdk1.6.0_16 (I'm downloading u23 now in case it helps, but I doubt it will)

Networking worked fine while I was using r7, and at this point I am trying to back down to r7, but that does not seem to be possible. I can download the r7 SDK, but it won't let me download the platforms until I upgrade to r8. I don't have a backup of my r7 platforms because I upgraded in-place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
s_p_oneil
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:39 pm

Top

Re: Android SDK r8 broke emulator networking

Postby s_p_oneil » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:28 pm

FINALLY! After an entire day (and then some) of struggling, I just found a way to get it to work. If you have r8 installed and have the same "no network" problem in your emulators, try following these steps:

1) Download the Android SDK r7 zip file. To download it, simply copy the link to the r8 SDK, paste it into your address bar, and change the 8 to a 7. It should look something like this:
http://dl.google.com/android/android-sd ... indows.zip
2) Unzip r7 into a temporary folder.
3) Rename the r8 tools\emulator.exe to something else, like emulator-r8.exe.
4) Move the r7 emulator.exe into the r8 tools folder.
5) Start your emulators back up, open the browser to test it, and heave a big sigh of relief.
6) If you need it, you can always run emulator-r8.exe manually. You can also swap the files so r8 is the default.
7) As an alternative, you can also leave the r7 emulator.exe in its own folder and run it like this from a DOS box:
SET ANDROID_SDK_ROOT=<path to r8 SDK>
<path to r7 SDK>\EMULATOR.EXE @<emulator name> <args>

If you're stuck like I was, I hope this helps. If you're a developer for Google, please post something more official and fix this problem ASAP.

Sean
s_p_oneil
Freshman
Freshman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:39 pm

Top

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests