Access Android Market from Android Emulator

Common bugs/problems with the Android SDK the Emulator and the ADT-Plugin.

Access Android Market from Android Emulator

Postby funkym » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi folks,

I am wondering if there is any way to access the android market from within the emulator. I just published my first (free) application on the market and would like to see how it looks in there.

Unfortunately, I do not have a real G1 phone yet and so I depend on the emulator :(
funkym
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby haden » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:49 pm

Th android market app is closed source.. You can't install it on your emulator.
You could ask one of the guys here at the forum to take a screen shot and send it to you ;)
Last edited by haden on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haden
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby funkym » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:21 pm

haden wrote:Th android market app is closed source.. You can install it on your emulator.
You could ask one of the guys here at the forum to take a screen shot and send it to you ;)

I don't want the source.

I just would like to know how it looks like. How can I get the binary to install it on the emulator?
funkym
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby haden » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:26 pm

Sorry. I meant you can't install it on the emulator. It only works through an android device.
haden
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby funkym » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:38 pm

haden wrote:Sorry. I meant you can't install it on the emulator. It only works through an android device.

Alright, so it seems I have to buy a device just to access the android market ...
funkym
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby haden » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:22 pm

Yup.. thats how it is. You could try out SAM from http://www.slideme.org/
haden
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby de_la_espada » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:52 pm

So just to be clear then.

The android market interface is built into the OS of the phone?

It's not simply an .APK file that could be obtained from an actual G1 and then loaded into the relevant directory
for the emulator?

If it is built into the OS, I though that that (OS) was now available open source more or less?

I can't understand why they would not have a web interface so non android phone users could at least browse the available applications. Surely if you want more people to buy into the technology, you want more exposure.

Just my 0.02 peniques.
de_la_espada
Freshman
Freshman

Postby funkym » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:17 am

de_la_espada wrote:So just to be clear then.

The android market interface is built into the OS of the phone?

It's not simply an .APK file that could be obtained from an actual G1 and then loaded into the relevant directory
for the emulator?

If it is built into the OS, I though that that (OS) was now available open source more or less?

I can't understand why they would not have a web interface so non android phone users could at least browse the available applications. Surely if you want more people to buy into the technology, you want more exposure.

Just my 0.02 peniques.

Exactly! That's what I thought too :)
funkym
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby olesis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 am

Okay, so I have a lot of new information on this, if anyone's interested. I've been trying to get this pulled off for some time, as a non-G1 user myself.

First of all, the Android Market is *not* built into the OS; it is actually an APK file which can be found in dumped ROMs. This one should be adequate (look in /system/app or similar, it's "Vending.apk"): http://rapidshare.com/files/155612986/Android_dump.rar

However, you cannot just copy it into an arbitrary Android installation, emulator or third-party port, and have it run. The main problem is that there is no classes.dex inside the APK. Instead, the binary classes are stored in an optimized "Vending.odex" file in the same directory as the "Vending.apk." However, this optimized file depends on other optimized odex libraries which do not exist in the same folders on the emulator as on G1. The ODEXes may also be platform-specific in terms of optimizations.

This document provides more information on the whole dex optimization issue:
http://mirror.nytes.net/programming/and ... exopt.html

Now, if we want a way around these obstacles, I did contact someone else who was working on a possible solution. They have uploaded hand-modified DEX and APK files, but they do not currently work: http://strazzere.com/blog/ is the person's site.

As for Google themselves, apparently they want to maintain total control of the Market. They intend to open up a Web-browsable interface, but no downloading whatsoever outside of their sphere of control. This is not an approach that I am willing to tolerate, so I am doing all I can to get these things to work. The Market is closed-source and G1-exclusive, so outside of these leaks, there is little else that can be done.
olesis
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby dandv » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:26 am

de_la_espada wrote:I can't understand why they would not have a web interface so non android phone users could at least browse the available applications.

WTF. Is this anddev.org, or andn00bs.org? Of course there are web interfaces to the Android market (Cyrket, Androlib), and there are at least 5 Android markets.
If God is good, why do 26500 children die each day? http://www.wfp.org/1billion
dandv
Freshman
Freshman

Android market on emulator

Postby beanie2841 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:35 pm

Check out this link.

http://tech-droid.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... lator.html

You get a full featured market on your emulator. I don't know if it's
legal(allowed by Google), but the image file, that this post mentions,
is a link to HTC's download page.

I am able to access all the market apps now, right from the emulator,
the paid ones, and the copy-protected ones also.

Cheers.

Dexter.
http://tech-droid.blogspot.com
beanie2841
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Access Android Market from Android Emulator

Postby stingjosef » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:48 am

Currently the industry has no way of handling expenses, so some of us have guidelines included in our programs about how to pay for and get or get signing up requirements for the complete editions of our application.
stingjosef
Freshman
Freshman

Return to SDK/ADT/Emulator Problems