Zoob - 2D action game

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Zoob - 2D action game

Postby julienr » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:58 am

Hi,
I have just published my first game on the Android Market. It's called Zoob (demo version available) and it's a 2D arcade game where you control a tank and have to shoot some enemies. The basic gameplay is quite minimalist.
As you progress through the levels, you'll have to face new enemies and gain access to new abilities.
The game currently has 45 levels and if I it sells well, I'll continue working on it.
I have plans to add multiplayer support (using wifi, I guess 3G would be way to laggy) and a level editor.

So, check it out (search for zoob on the market) ! Suggestions and bug reports are welcome !

By the way, for the developpers out here, this game is 100% NDK. There is only a small bunch of Java boilerplate code, but all the graphics and logic is implemented using the NDK. It's currently running fine on my HTC Magic, but there are still a few areas where the code could be optimized.

Below is a screenshot and the demo QR code.
julienr
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Zoob - 2D action game

Postby rHalf » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:06 pm

I like your game. The controls are a little touchy and could use some work. I played on a Moto Droid v1.

I wanted to post mainly because I loved you menu screen! I was curious what you used to create that because it feels very clean. Is it something you coded up or a type of image that you used?

Thanks
rHalf
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Zoob - 2D action game

Postby julienr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

The menus are not done using the NDK. They are built on standard android java. In the beginning, they were coded from scratch using NDK/OpenGL, but I switched to Java because it was just easier.

I'm basically using a customized TextView subclass to draw text using a custom font.

For the level and difficulty selection, I'm using a Gallery widget. My adapter returns simple TextView with my custom font.

So, except for the logo, nothing is pre-rendered.
julienr
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Promote your Android Application