WordMate, a dictionary application

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

WordMate, a dictionary application

Postby wmhongbo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:48 am

There is an updated version, please visit http://www.anddev.org/dictionary_-_word ... t3100.html :)
Last edited by wmhongbo on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
wmhongbo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:54 am

The screenshots look nice, but in the second one I'd suggest some spacing between the entries.

Maybe you could make a one for all dictionary, where users can add/fix entries in a worldwide dictionary?
That would be pretty damn cool!

Best Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wmhongbo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:33 am

Thanks for reply.
plusminus wrote:The screenshots look nice, but in the second one I'd suggest some spacing between the entries.

Maybe i'm not make myself clear, the application itself doesnt contain dictionary database, users make them and share to others if they want. those screenshots are just samples, users can edit entries in their dictionary using Html tags. there is a tool in the .zip package to make WordMate dictionary.

plusminus wrote:Maybe you could make a one for all dictionary, where users can add/fix entries in a worldwide dictionary?
That would be pretty damn cool!

That's a cool idea :D . Wikipedia does similar job except its an encyclopaedia rather than a dictionary.
you can download wikipedia and make it a WordMate database on android too.

Hongbo
wmhongbo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby wmhongbo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:38 am

This is a copy of Readme.txt of WordMate, just in the case to help you know how it works :)

WordMate is a dictionary application for Google Android platform.

WordMate uses it's own format dictionary data file(*.dwm). Users can make dictionaries by using the generator wmgen.exe.

Edit dictionary Source files.
Any text editor (Notepad, Ultraedit-32) can be used for editing dictionary source files. A dictionary source file must follow the format shown below:

Line 1: Title of dictionary
Line 2: Information about dictionary(description, word count, author, email...)
Line 3: Word 1
Line 4: Definition of word 1
Line 5: Word 2
Line 6: Definition of word 2

Basically, the odd lines are words and the even lines are definitions. Definition field supports html language tags, such as
for new line, <b> and </b> for bold, <font color=XXX> and </font> for color, etc. A sample file named "sample.txt" is provided to help users to understand the format.

Make dictionary files
Users can use wmgen.exe to convert a source file into .dwm dictionary file. Wmgen is a command-line tool running on windows command console. It has two options. "-i" is ignore case, for example, when the user input "a", the capital letter "A" will be also found with this option, this is ideal for english indexed dictionaries. The other option is "-gbk", by default (and I recommanded), WordMate will read the file with UTF-8 encoding; however, this option will indicate that the file is Chinese GBK encoding. Only dictionaries with Chinese charactors may need this option.

Use dictionary files with WordMate
Put dictionary files into directory "/sdcard/wordmate/". WordMate will read *.dwm files in the path.

WordMate is far from complete at the moment, if you have any question or suggestion, please don't hesitate to contact me. I hope you enjoy it. :)
wmhongbo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby wmhongbo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:37 am

I made a ready-to-use dictionary for anyone interested

download here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/147902419/foldoc.dwm.html
Attachments
foldoc2.JPG
foldoc2.JPG (47.61 KiB) Viewed 7104 times
foldoc.JPG
foldoc.JPG (27.48 KiB) Viewed 7104 times
wmhongbo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

MashUp

Postby flowdi » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:20 am

User generated dictionary makes perfectly sense :)

May be this could be a use case for this cool 'inter-application-integration mashupability' of the android os?
- look up a word right in the moment you need it
- if it seems worth / hard to remember
=> fire an intent to save it as 'vocabulary card' in Tea.ch for later repeating and training...?
flowdi
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Promote your Android Application