WiSync

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

WiSync

Postby GregC » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:08 pm

I have released WiSync. Comments, questions, and feedback are welcome.

The application passively monitors your wifi status. When connected to an access point it automatically enables syncing. When disconnected, it disables syncing. The combination of syncing options is configurable. The application can save significant battery by preventing continuous syncing until you choose to connect to a wifi device. For those operating in data roaming mode, it helps save you money as well as it prevents constant syncing when you would otherwise be paying for it. Syncing can be independently controlled too, so you are by no means limited to only syncing via a wifi connection.

WiSync allows for a connected and disconnected sync configuration. So for example, when you're connected to an access point, you can have it sync everything. When disconnected, you can have it only sync email. WiSync can also be enabled or disabled with a single click.

Feedback for those who roam or operate over seas have been rather positive. So please, feel free to check it out in the market. Contrary to some of the wild comments posted in the market, the application does not constantly run in the background nor does it drain your battery.

I am currently working on a much more feature rich, priced version, called WiSyncPlus.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Version 1.3 Released Today

Postby GregC » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 am

A new minor version was released today. This version now automatically starts on boot. This way you won't forget to start the application up for it to do its magic.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Good Things Said About WiSync

Postby GregC » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:22 pm

I just happened to stumble on an article where WiSync was mentioned. WiSync is a 3.75 star application with spam votes and a 5 star application from legitimate votes. WiSync has been well received, works well, is easy to configure, and works transparently. WiSyncPlus is currently in development.

The other day I downloaded a new app from the Market called WiSync. It purports to disable auto-sync automatically when a wifi connection is not established. I've tried this out and it seems to work pretty well. Even when you are on a wifi network you can turn the screen off and it will disconnect the wifi and thus disable auto-sync, thus maximizing your battery life.

Again if you try this out you can definitely see the difference in Watts.

--------
I've tried power manager but it's not the same. Power manager works based on your power status, but what I was talking about was a switchable profile. There are times that the phone is not plugged in that I'd like wifi and autosync to be on (if I'm actively using it and chatting with someone on IM) and other times I'd like them to be off (I'm at work or some other quiet environment where I won't be checking my phone for email or messages).

Wifi turns off when you turn the screen off, but autosync stays on. WiSync does a good job though of disabling autosync when wifi is off.

If you can't make the following claim right now, you should check out WiSync.
Today I've had my phone off its charger since 8 AM. It's now 4:11 PM (CST) and with on-and-off wifi usage I'm now barely at 81% or 82% (from Watts) battery life, as anytime I have the screen off, wifi and autosync turn off.

With this usage trend I could expect around 34 hours battery life, having good usage of wifi and autosync when I want it and minimum battery usage when I don't. Not quite as good as 4 or 5 days with everything off, but certainly much better than 5 - 6 hours I was getting at first.

Taken from quoted thread.

Here is a more detailed description of WiSync on SlideMe.

In short, even if you are using other power saving applications, it is unlikely to work as seamlessly as WiSync does. If you've not checked out WiSync yet, your battery likely already knows. :wink: I commonly get 24-48 hours of battery life out of my phone, depending on how much web browsing and talk time I use. So if you find your battery life isn't enough, you are likely not using WiSync. Check it out! Its free!
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:52 pm

So, it can also be used to disable syncing when roaming? That's very nice. Does this solve the unbelievable high charges some persons had to pay when they were abroad?
MrSnowflake

Postby GregC » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Does this solve the unbelievable high charges some persons had to pay when they were abroad?

Unfortunately not. There are three problems involved. First, the biggest problem is T-Mobile's network is telling the phone they are not roaming - after all, it is a T-Mobile network. The second part of the equation is, the phone collects and reports various statistics back to Google; including AP locations, IIRC, if available. Network location traffic (network location provider) is also a factor here, if enabled. T-Mobile then turns around and bills the user for roaming despite the fact they are on a native T-Mobile network while the network tells the phone it is not roaming. I'm no attorney but I consider it fraud - but I digress.

A third cost factor is syncing. Since the phone is constantly attempting to sync, given the above situation, the owner winds up paying for both Google's statics traffic (network location traffic too) and the user's sync traffic. The sync traffic can be controlled. The Google traffic can only be turned off by disabling your APN or when the phone is roaming with data roaming turned off. WiSync only helps control the costs associated with syncing. WiSync does nothing to prevent the costs associated with the first two issues. And by controlling costs I mean preventing costs by deferring synchronization activities to periods where WIFI connectivity is available.

Enter WiSyncPlus. WiSyncPlus will drastically help people better address the first two issues, plus the features provided by WiSync. WiSync only addresses the third. I won't got into details as to exactly what and how WiSyncPlus works but it is aimed specifically at users who suffer in the first two categories, plus many extra features. I hope to have it available some time next week. Testing will ultimately drive the actual release date.

All that aside, there are very real battery benefits to minimizing your synchronization activity even if you don't use WiSync. Allowing WiSync to help you makes saving battery power easy and transparent. Ultimately, using WiSync is a win-win and since it can be easily turned off and on, you have full control over when you receive WiSync's assistance.

I provided the above quotes because many incorrectly believe applications like Power Manager obsolete WiSync. This is simply not true. They are in fact complimentary applications, each working in their own way to benefit the user. Frankly, I've been surprised by the slow adoption of WiSync. I guess because of the complexity of the issues surrounding power management, people falsely believe other applications address this niche. In my own opinion, I've not found another application which addresses this niche behaviour anywhere near as nicely as WiSync; as in, does not require constant user interaction, create situations where the user can forget, or activate a profile which is wrong half the time.

Thanks for your excellent question.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

GearSoft Website

Postby GregC » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:15 pm

I finally have the beginnings of a website put together. I plan to have detailed product information available shortly.

So you if you're curious, please feel free to check out the site at http://www.gearsoft.mobi.

Once quick note, WiSync is now rated 4-stars, even with spam votes. Thanks for everyone's interest and support.

As an aside, WiSyncPlus development and testing is going well. I'm really excited about the feature set. If you're a user that roams much, or worse, must carry your phone with you in those dreaded no-roam/roam T-Mobile network locations (see above), WiSyncPlus will be of interest to you. It also empowers users to better control their phone's synchronization habits like no other application available; free or otherwise. And as a bonus, just like with WiSync, it also helps save considerable battery life. So you want to better control syncing, save battery life, control costs when roaming, including roam/no-roam locations, WiSyncPlus definitely deserves your attention. Simply put, if you use your phone, WiSyncPlus is a must have.

I have some unexpected travel coming at the end of this week so I don't see how a WiSyncPlus release is possible. Expect a release the mid part of next week.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

WiSyncPlus teaser

Postby GregC » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:31 pm

This should be a good teaser. Last night I ran my first @measured test while using WiSyncPlus. In eight hours of *standby (10:59pm - 7:09am) my phone only used 2% battery. Assuming truly linear battery discharge, that's a 16-day standby. Wow! The difference even surprised me.

Please keep in mind that is an extrapolated value and not an observed value. I am not claiming everyone will magically get 16-days of continuous phone use.

(@) measured = measured and graphed with Battery Graph.
(*) Standby = phone sat untouched initiating or receiving no phone calls with WiSyncPlus installed.

Like I said, WiSyncPlus has something for everybody.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

WiSyncPlus teaser update...

Postby GregC » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:55 pm

I now have some content available on WiSyncPlus...

I'm still not ready for a release for a variety of reasons; including feature creep and unexpected travel.

So if you're curious to see the first must have application for Android, check out the information I've provided. It even includes a battery graph.

So MrSnowflake, in the very near future you'll have a vastly improved solution, and then some, for your roaming charges. Once WiSyncPlus is finally release I'll provide much more detailed information on internal operations.

WiSyncPlus
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Google developer conference

Postby apple2183 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:19 pm

apple2183
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby GregC » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:35 pm

A Minor WiSync update is coming soon.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby GregC » Fri May 01, 2009 4:09 pm

A WiSync update is now available on the market and SlideMe. It includes minor bug fixes, some internal cleanup, and a new about page.

Don't forget, new features are planned for the near future.

WiSyncPlus is now available for download...
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

5000th Download!

Postby GregC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:10 pm

WiSync just had its 5000th download.

Thanks everyone for your support!
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

New Feature!

Postby GregC » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Recently a new version of WiSync was released. This version offers minor cleanup and internal improvements plus a new feature. WiSync will now notify you if your WIFI is left on but not connected to an access point. Clicking the notification will turn off your WIFI. This does wonders for extending battery life!
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Typical » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:19 am

do i need to enable auto-sync under Settings, Data synchronization?
Typical
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby GregC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:40 pm

do i need to enable auto-sync under Settings, Data synchronization?

No. WiSync will do that for you, based on your preferences, but only for WIFI events. For best use and maximum battery life, turn off your WIFI. When you are ready to sync, turn on your WIFI. Again, based on your preferences, autosync + gmail, contacts, and calendar will be enabled for auto synchronization. At this point you must wait for the usual google-tickle to trigger the actual synchronization.

If you have the WIFI monitor feature enabled, you should receive an annoying notification to remind you to disable your WIFI after your disconnect or go out of range. If you turn off your WIFI you will not be notified. Clicking on the notification will do exactly that, turn off your WIFI device.

If you don't like waiting to synchronize, you can always check out WiSyncPlus. WiSyncPlus allows you to force a synchronization without waiting on Google's "tickle" events.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Next

Return to Promote your Android Application