WiSync

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

New Point Release

Postby GregC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:46 pm

A new point release was pushed out yesterday. The previous release made the WIFI Monitor too sensitive for some. This release's only change is to make it less annoying and less sensitive. If you find it is still too sensitive for your use, please email me and let me know under what circumstances you're finding it inadequate.

The GearSoft Homepage
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Notifications should be viewed!

Postby GregC » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:27 am

It has come to my attention some users are confused by a notification created by WiSync. Some users have even angrily uninstalled WiSync to disable the notification. The notification is enabled by the WIFI Monitor preference. The preference is enabled by default. Should you forget to turn off your WIFI device, the notification alerts you to turn it off, so as to save battery life. Once the notification sounds, you need only view your notification area to turn off the noise.

This is not a WiSync bug - it is a normal Android notification. If you click on the notification in the notification area, your WIFI device will be turned off. Remembering to turn off your WIFI when not in use will both prevent the notification from firing and extend your battery life.

If this behavior annoys you, turn off WIFI Monitor in preferences or turn off your WIFI when its not in use. The later is preferred as your battery will thank you. :wink:

Contrary to the assurances of Google developers, a WIFI left enabled does consume battery life. WIFIs left in a dormant state do periodically wake, scan, negotiate a connection, negotiate DHCP, disconnect, and then go back to sleep. Your phone will do this hundreds of times per day. The result is much more power used then would otherwise be the case if the device is disabled. This is especially true for weak WIFI connections. So if you're unhappy with your battery life, absolutely turn off your WIFI device when its not in use. Your battery life will see a difference.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

WiSync + Locale Plugin

Postby GregC » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:33 pm

WiSync 1.6 was just released. This version includes a built in Locale plugin which allows for fine grain synchronization control. This release drastically leapfrogs Locale's Sync plugin by combining the features of WiSync with Locale.

From Locale you can now create situations where Auto Synchronization, Gmail, Calendars, and Contacts can each be turned on/off or left unchanged. So go on, upgrade from Locale's Sync Plugin to WiSync!
Attachments
wifisync-qr.png
QR for WiSync
wifisync-qr.png (888 Bytes) Viewed 2145 times
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

1.6.1 Just Released

Postby GregC » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 pm

This version (1.6.1) fixes a bug where disabling WiSync did not prevent the WIFI Monitor from sounding. Information has been updated. Users are now presented important information multiple times before it stops being presented during WiSync start up. Also changed, when WiSync is used as a Locale plugin (added to or edited in a Locale situation), the WIFI Monitor is automatically disabled. This information is also provided in the information dialog on start up. The memory footprint is now improved when only using WiSync with Locale as a plugin. Furthermore, disabling WiSync now terminates its associated service.

And in case you didn't know, you can now customize your WiSync notification!

And don't think WIFI only synchronization is the only reason to use WiSync. It also improves battery life! For those that still synchronize 24x7, I suggest you enable all synchronization when connected via WIFI and disable synchronization of contacts and calendars when not connected. This reduces the synchronization duration/burden on your phone while still allowing emails to synchronize normally.

So there you have it, lots more reasons to use WiSync! WiSync is a free application.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Disconnected Wifi Connection Does Not Disable Autosync

Postby benedict_chng » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:26 pm

I have this problem with Wisync. When I switch off my Wifi base station, Wisync does not disable my Autosync.

When I disable Wifi on my G1, then my Autosync is disabled. Is it supposed to work this way?

Rgds,
Benedict
benedict_chng
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Disconnected Wifi Connection Does Not Disable Autosync

Postby GregC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:45 pm

benedict_chng wrote:I have this problem with Wisync. When I switch off my Wifi base station, Wisync does not disable my Autosync.

When I disable Wifi on my G1, then my Autosync is disabled. Is it supposed to work this way?

Rgds,
Benedict

Proper use is tersely addressed in the application's description in the market. Also, the information dialog, which is presented two (for upgrades) and three (new installations) times after installation, when the WiSync UI is started, provides full details on how to properly use WiSync. Turn your WIFI ON and OFF. Here is a very short excerpt from the information presented to all users multiple times. This starts at the second paragraph, which is the first paragraph providing WiSync specific information. The dialog starts with, "Last updated 08-12-2009: IMPORTANT TO READ! WISYNC USAGE INFORMATION BELOW!".

Please keep in mind WiSync works by changing your auto-synchronization configuration when your WIFI is turned ON and OFF. This is exactly why the WIFI Monitor preference has been added and is on by default. Many people completely misunderstand how WiSync works. For best results and best power savings, turn your WIFI ON and OFF as needed. Regardless, you must still wait for the usual "tickle" to be sent from Google before your phone will actually synchronize your configured services. If you don't like waiting for Google's "tickle", get WiSyncPlus! WiSyncPlus allows for immediate "forced synchronizations"; in addition to many other features.

I will also add, there are some situations where WIFI disconnection will turn off auto synchronization but I found the hard way this is driven by device drivers and is not consistent from phone to phone or even ROM to ROM. Android does not dictate driver state transitions, or even state reporting. It only dictates, should a driver report a state, the Android dictated states are to be reported. Therefore, for best results, always turn your WIFI on and off. Previous versions worked better but this caused all sorts of false positives with the WIFI Monitor because of inconsistent state transitions which differ from phone to phone and even by operating environment and in some cases, installed applications. I may yet revisit this issue in a later release.

The full text, as provided in the dialogs, is as follows.
Last updated 08-12-2009: IMPORTANT TO READ! WISYNC USAGE INFORMATION BELOW!

If you enjoy WiSync, be sure to checkout WiSyncPlus. No other application comes even close to controlling synchronization, saving battery life, or can saving roaming dollars like WiSyncPlus. WiSyncPlus can even save far, far more power than Power Manager for most users. So go on, check it out! If you think WiSync is good, you'll literally be blown away with WiSyncPlus!

Please keep in mind WiSync works by changing your auto-synchronization configuration when your WIFI is turned ON and OFF. This is exactly why the WIFI Monitor preference has been added and is on by default. Many people completely misunderstand how WiSync works. For best results and best power savings, turn your WIFI ON and OFF as needed. Regardless, you must still wait for the usual "tickle" to be sent from Google before your phone will actually synchronize your configured services. If you don't like waiting for Google's "tickle", get WiSyncPlus! WiSyncPlus allows for immediate "forced synchronizations"; in addition to many other features.

A new "WIFI Monitor" preference has been added. It is enabled by default. It will remind you to turn off your WIFI when not connected. It is purposely designed to be annoying when enabled. If you don't like the option, turn it off in preferences. When it sounds, simply view your notifications and the sound will immediately stop. If the notification's sound does not immediately stop when viewing your notifications, you have discovered an Android bug. At this time I am unaware of any such bug.

If you find WiSync doesn't work for you, you're not using it properly or misunderstand how it works! WiSync does not interfere with independent manipulation of your phone's auto synchronization so there really is no reason to uninstall it. Simply install, configure, and you're done. You'll simply forget WiSync is installed after that, so long as you always remember to turn off your WIFI when its not in use, or disable the "WIFI Monitor" preference. Doing so will also improve battery life anywhere from 5%-20% per day!

Because WiSync does not interfere with external control of your phone's auto synchronization in any way, you can freely manipulate both the services which are synchronized and even force a synchronization via the system's settings -> Data synchronization application. As such, if your phone is not synchronizing when you believe it should, you either fail to understand how WiSync works, have an invalid WiSync configuration, or you are not connecting long enough with a WIFI access point to allow Google to initiate a WIFI synchronization.

WiSync now doubles as a Locale plugin. You can now control your synchronization settings (auto-sync, gmail, calendar, contacts) in a Locale situation. To use as a Locale plugin, exclusive or not, I strongly urge you to disable the "WIFI Monitor" feature in WiSync's preferences. This feature should be disabled anytime Locale is installed on your phone as Locale constantly turns your WIFI on and off in an effort to determine your location. Locale's behavior is likely to cause unwanted notifications as a result of the "WIFI Monitor" feature.

In the latest release (1.6.1 and later), once WiSync is added to or edited in an existing Locale situation, WiSync will automatically disable the "WIFI Monitor" preference. Re-enabling the preference is not recommended so long as you continue to use WiSync as a Locale Plugin. Also fixed is a bug which did not prevent the "WIFI Monitor" from sounding when the service is disabled. Additional optimizations are also in place to reduce the memory footprint used by WiSync when only used as a Locale plugin.

An About menu item has been added to WiSync. By selecting the About page you can see other GearSoft applications, navigate to the GearSoft homepage, report bugs and even request new features. To access the About GearSoft page, while inside the preferences screen, press the Menu button, and then select, "About".

WiSync has completed over 8000 downloads. Thank you for your interest and support. If you would like to see a localized translation, please email me and let me know. Also, if you are interested in doing a translation for WiSyncPlus, I will compensate you with a free license to any other GearSoft application in exchange for your efforts.

Got questions? Email me! Use the about menu item and select the, "Email GearSoft Support", button to send your questions or comments!

New features are coming to WiSync...

------
--end

If you have additional questions, please feel free to email me via the market link or directly via "WiSync -> menu button -> About -> Email GearSoft Support".

Thanks.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

1.7.1 Released!

Postby GregC » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:47 pm

A new release has been pushed to the market today. This release completely overhauls the WIFI Monitor feature. It is now based on a completely different mechanism. Thus far results have been excellent. Also added is a new preference. You can now tell the WIFI Monitor to not report WIFI errors when charging. A new WIFI error notification icon was also added. Combined with the ability to select your own notification sounds, the WIFI Monitor feature has never been more powerful.

Also added, autosync is now turned on/off on wifi connection/disconnection so long as WIFI Monitor is enabled.

Don't forget the WIFI Monitor feature is still incompatible with use as a Locale plugin. WiSync detects use as a Locale plugin and will automatically disable the WIFI Monitor.

So come on, WiSync is nearing its 10,000 download...so push it on over!

Feedback is welcome on the changed WIFI Monitor implementation.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

new user of WiSyncPlus - a few questions

Postby babycakes » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:47 am

Hi,

First, thanks for making this application, it looks to be a real help to me since I'm on a data plan that limits me to 500 MB/month. The improved battery life should also be a win for me :)

I just spent some time going through the UI to try and understand all of the options. I think I have a fairly good grasp of what WiSyncPlus is all about, but I still have a few questions:

1. Preferences -> Notifications -> Monitor Settings

What is the difference between:

(a) WIFI Monitor "If WIFI is enabled but not connected, report as error"
and
(b) Notify WIFI On "Silently notify when WIFI is turned on but not connected"

(b) can only be enabled if (a) is enabled. (b) is differentiating between WiFi being enabled vs. turned on ?

Also, do these settings have any interaction with the triggering of "On WiFi Connection/Disconnection" events ? What I've read (somewhere) is that if I enable "WiFi Monitor" then "On WiFi Connection/Disconnection" events will be triggered when a "remembered" AP comes into or goes out of range. True ?

2. Preferences -> When Display Turns On/Off -> Enable/Disable Sync

This is described as "enable/disable WIFI sync configuration when screen is turned on/off". What does this mean? I know what sync is, but what is "WiFi sync configuration", and what does it mean to enable or disable it ? How does this setting interact with the sync. settings in "On WiFi Connection/Disconnection" ?

3. Preferences -> "On WiFi Connection/Disconnection"

How do the sync.-related settings here interact with the system-wide sync settings (in Settings -> Data Syncronization) ?

"On WiFi Connection" event is triggered when:

* WiFi was turned OFF, and is turned ON and successfully connected ?
* WiFi was turned ON (w/ AP was out of range), and AP comes back into range ?

Similarly for "On WiFi Disconnection", that event is triggered when:

* WiFi was turned ON, and is turned OFF ?
* WiFi was turned ON and connected, but lost connection for some reason (still turned ON though) ?

4. How would I achieve a configuration where:

a) auto-sync is enabled when WIFI is connected
b) auto-sync is disabled when WIFI is not connected

I've been trying to make that configuration happen, but so far I'm failing.

In "Desktop -> Settings -> Data Synchronization", I have everything checked.
In "Preferences -> On WiFi Connection" I have everything checked except "Force Synchronize".
In "Preferences -> On WiFi Disconnection" I have everything checked.
In "Preferences -> When Display Turns On" I have everything checked except "Force Synchronize".
In "Preferences -> When Display Turns Off" I have everything checked.

What I find is that the system-wide settings seem to be in effect ALL THE TIME, regardless of WiFi ON/OFF state or connection state.

I still think this application is going to be a big help, but so far I'm not able to make it work for me. Even though I am probably doing something wrong here, I think this application needs better documentation. I've been able to piece things together to some degree by reading here and elsewhere, but ideally I could read a single document which would fully explain this full-featured, yet somewhat complex application.

Thanks for your help ! :)
babycakes
Freshman
Freshman

Postby GregC » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:42 pm

1. The two WIFI Monitor options are distinct in behavior. The silent notification informs you your WIFI is on and needlessly wasting battery. The noisy notification (hopefully you're also enable insistent too) tells you when you have lost connection or are unable to establish connection. There is some overlap here. The primary purpose of the silent notification is to simply help you become aware the device is on and wasting battery.

Also, all of the monitors themselves only monitor and notify. They do not, in of themselves, actually initiate actions other than create notifications. Selection of the notifications in the notification area frequently does initiate some type of action.

2. Your phone has auto-synchronization. This toggles the selected services based on your preferences. The state of auto-synchronization is independent of your ability to force a synchronization. As for the question of interaction, they are independent triggers, they don't.

Some people prefer to synchronize when they are already using their network connections. Others prefer to only sync when on WIFI. Others yet prefer to only sync on a schedule during specific hours. How you choose to trigger auto sync is up to you. It does not harm anything to enable auto-sync multiple times.

By in large, all of the triggers are independent except when charging. This is because usability is increased when certain disable actions are ignored when charging.

For more details, please use the about page and email me directly. You can also email me by using support at g earsoft d o t mobi. Obviously you need to remove the spaces and replace the at. In the email please include your phone type, Android version, and carrier.

Also, this should have really been asked on the WiSyncPlus thread rather than the WiSync thread.
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

New WiSync Release!

Postby GregC » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:19 pm

A new release of WiSync has been pushed to both SlideMe and the Android Market. This version significantly enhances OS compatibility. This release of WiSync runs on Android 1.1, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.01. I expect it will also run on 2.1, when available.

Don't forget WiSync also doubles as a Locale plugin, allowing you to individually control your phone's auto-synchronization (auto-sync, gmail, calendar, contacts) settings in a multitude of situations.

Don't forget, WiSync is FREE!

WiSync Homepage
WiSync 1.7.4 Changelog
GregC
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Previous

Return to Promote your Android Application