Ventrilo on Android - Let's make it happen!

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Ventrilo on Android - Let's make it happen!

Postby danslo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Greetings!

My name is Daniel Sloof and together with a group of volunteers we have recently been working on a project called Mangler: a Ventrilo compatible client for linux. Mangler is driven by a C library called libventrilo3 and over the past couple of weeks I have been working on making this library compile with the Android-NDK. I am currently succesfully able to build libventrilo3 as a native library that can be used in Android applications. The JNI wrappers are a little lackluster, but they are being worked on.

The main reason for me posting on this forum (amongst others) is because I am looking for skilled Android/Java developers to assist us in working on this open-source project. We're mostly C programmers that have very little Android experience. I expect we could have something functional up within the month, most of the work has already been done: we're pretty much just writing a GUI for an existing backend (and some audio stuff, which is just feeding PCM to one of the native functions).

Thanks for reading! If by this point you're interested in participating or have any specific questions you can just post them here or drop by on IRC. You can find me on freenode #mangler (alias: danslo).
danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby aaatos » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi Daniel!
My name is Angelos Nakulas, I'm from Greece and I'm an Android application developer.
I find what you are doing with Mangler very interesting and I want to contribute to your project!
Send me a message in aaatos@gmail.com if you want my help.
aaatos
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby danslo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Time for an update and a quick *bump*.

More progress has been made making libventrilo suitable for Android usage. This primarily involves audio stuff, such as upsampling to rates that Android's AudioRecord doesn't support. Buffering in the Android App is still required but this can be done with minimal effort. Of course all of this (and future) progress can be found on our website.

There have also been some android developers peaking around in the IRC channel but no active developer has yet been found, feel free to drop by.

(PS: To moderators: I am cross-posting this on several Android Forums. If this is considered spam, please feel free to take appropriate measures.)
danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby danslo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:47 am

*bump*
danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby danslo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Bump & small update!

I've just managed to record audio on my android device and send it to our ventrilo test server. Even with just 8khz quality (for testing purposes) the transmission sounds loud and clear on my ventrilo client! :) There is a small bit of delay but that doesn't seem to be caused by either the connection or the speed of the device (HTC Magic); it can probably be fixed with relative ease.

That being said, looks like we've found an Android developer willing to work on the project, but nothing is for certain so we're still looking for decent Java/Android developers to help out.
danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Ventrilo on Android - Let's make it happen!

Postby danslo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:29 pm

App is pretty usable at this point, things missing:

1) Audio mixing. This means that whenever multiple people are talking at once you will notice stuttering.
2) Ability to join channels with passwords.
3) Leaving the app disconnects from server, this is a temporary workaround.

Other than that it's mostly cosmetics, settings, etc.

It is however already possible to add servers, connect to them, join channels, talk to people, and listen to people (as long as it's one person at a time ;)).

We always appreciate people helping out so long as they're knowledgeable of Android development. Feel free to drop by on irc.freenode.net #mangler! :)
danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby danslo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:56 am

Very early alpha version. Do not transmit in a GSM 8KHz channel! This will get you tempbanned, other codec/rates are fine. We're working on that issue ;)

Please submit bugs / feature requests to:
http://www.mangler.org/trac/newticket

Existing tickets can be seen here:
http://www.mangler.org/trac/query?statu ... ndroid+1.0
danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby danslo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:09 pm

Updated alpha apk to latest svn revision. This should fix numerous bugs and add some features, and should make it a bit more stable overall.
Still don't try *talking* in GSM 8Khz channels, you WILL get banned.

People that have previously installed it may have to remove their current installation, I didn't mess with version strings so android won't know this is a later version.
danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby illchaocid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:29 am

I was just curious how I would be able to test this on my phone?

Thanks
illchaocid
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby danslo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Just get barcode scanner (market) and scan the image above with your camera.
danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby danslo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:34 am

Last edited by danslo on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Snaze » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:20 am

If you need a Ventrilo Server to test on, please use mine! I want to support you guys for making this!
IP: CA1.LeetVent.com
Port: 4080.
Snaze
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby blundell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:56 am

Good effort guys, I love Vent :-D

1 Question, if I had my phone on loudspeaker for vent would I get reverb or echo from people talking. I.e. would it resend people talking back to the people talking ha poor explanation sorry :-)
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby danslo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:59 am

Ok, so alpha4 is out...
This release should fix transmission issues for several devices (including the Galaxy S), and includes other minor bugfixes / cosmetic changes. Please do not try to change screen orientation while logging in, this is a known issue and is being worked on.

Someone seems to have taken our namespace on the market (org.mangler), so this update will require you to uninstall your previous mangler install manually. We've changed our namespace to org.mangler.android and we can now be found on the market!

Please still be aware that this Alpha release will send crash reports to our server. To clarify this, we have added a EULA starting from Alpha4. If you don't want this behavior, please wait for a stable release

No direct link to apk available this time, just grab it from the market (clickable / scannable):

danslo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby warrior420 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:43 pm

I registered to just reply to this mentioning that this app rocks! Works fantastically on my EVO running CyanRC6, and its very clear. Now i can just walk around the house and still be in a server talking to my clan. Thanks a lot to all the developers, you really make android shine above em all. Now i shall go donate :D
warrior420
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Promote your Android Application