UltimateFavesPRO v2.6 with Home Screen Integration

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

UltimateFavesPRO v2.6 with Home Screen Integration

Postby Lior » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:08 pm

UltimateFavesPRO 2.6 introduces a special new MultiTasking feature: It integrates seamlessly with your favorite home app, and allows you to launch any carousel anytime, anywhere, simply by double tapping the Home button on your phone!

After installing the update, when you first press Home, the following dialog will be displayed:

Since this is the first time, a configuration wizard will be displayed: In the first step, select your favorite home app from the list.

If this is the first time you installed the application and you don’t have any carousels defined, the following screen will be displayed:

You can always start the wizard again by pressing menu -> Settings -> Home screen settings after you have created a few carousels, and then the screen would look like this:

This is where you select the carousel you want to launch when you double-tap the Home button.

The final step is only relevant if you reached the wizard from the settings screen, and you currently have another default home app set as default:

After pressing done, follow the on screen instructions if needed, and you’re all set: Double-tap the Home button and you can access your carousels from anywhere!

Suggestions for usage:

• Launch your Settings carousel to quickly enable Wifi / GPS when needed without leaving your current application.
  • Reading an article on the web? Doing something important, but need to quickly send an e-mail? SMS? Make a call? Launch your predefined carousel with your frequent contacts, numbers, etc. After that you can return to what you were doing.
  • Launch the running-tasks/processes carousel to quickly kill an application and free up memory on your phone, you can display up to 16 apps at once instead of the standard 6 (or 8 on Froyo).
  • MultiTasking is only limited to your imagination!

What else is new in v2.6?
  • Long-press the Search button to launch your last used-carousel.
  • More carousel speeds!
  • Improved carousel speed handling.
  • Updated PayPal library.

Don't know UltimateFavesPRO yet?
Visit our web page: http://ultimatefaves.com/
Take a look at the introduction video: http://ultimatefaves.com/video/
(Current version has *tons* of other features!)

Here's a direct link to the market:

Last edited by Lior on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lior
Freshman
Freshman

Re: UltimateFavesPRO v2.6 with Home Screen Integration

Postby blundell » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi Lior,

Could I ask, for UltimateFavesPRO how did you integrate it so that when you double tap the home button it appears?
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby Lior » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:15 pm

blundell wrote:Hi Lior,

Could I ask, for UltimateFavesPRO how did you integrate it so that when you double tap the home button it appears?

This is actually pretty easy. Here's a quick-fact summary:
1. There's no way to intercept a press on the Home key. The reason is that the Android user interface guidelines state that whenever the user presses Home, he should return to his 'safe and known' state of the home screen.
2. The only 'sign' that the home key was pressed is that the home-app is launched.
3. As any Android activity, the home-app is launched via an intent passed to startActivity.
4. In-order to enable the double-tap functionality, UltimateFavesPRO is set as the home-app
5. To allow your app to be set as a home-replacement, you must include the following intent-filter in your manifest:
Code: Select all
<intent-filter>
     <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
     <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" />
     <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
</intent-filter>

6. Each time the user presses the Home key, the activity that contains the above intent-filter is launched, with its onNewIntent called, inside this method, I dispatch a message that launches the user's favorite home app in 300ms, if during that time I get another call to onNewIntent, I cancel the message and immediately launch the main UltimateFavesPRO activity with the user-requested carousel.

That's it :D
Lior
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Lior » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:36 am

You're welcome to visit our new official web site:

http://ultimatefaves.com/
Lior
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ashwini.dabir » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks Lior ..
Your help proved to be very helpful. I was able to launch my app on single press of home key.
Pl guide me if i need to launch my app after long pressing the home key for 7-8 seconds. Are there any other attributes that can be set in the manifest ?
Looking forward for ur reply. Thanks in advance :)
ashwini.dabir
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Promote your Android Application