Tiny Classroom Flash Cards Released

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Tiny Classroom Flash Cards Released

Postby australuke » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:33 pm

After many hours I have finally published Tiny Classroom to the Android market place. Tiny Classroom is a foreign language study and flash card application. I wrote it because I wanted to be able to write the answer with the IME, not just view the answer, none of the existing apps supported this. The website is http://www.tinyclassroom.com. The application supports flags, filtering, learning progress, etc.

This is a developer forum so I will put out the offer, Tiny Classroom contains some user interface innovations, some of which I have posted on the Google dev group and some of I haven't. If you check out the application then I will return the favor by answering any questions you might have about how the UI was implemented.

In particular, I wrote a custom Gallery style view which supports fling and bounce. I did this because of issues with the built in Gallery and TextEdits. I also implemented a new style of sliding button. Other things of interest include displaying progress dialogs during orientation changes and handling selection in list views with custom backgrounds.

Cheers
australuke
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Tiny Classroom Flash Cards Released

Postby blundell » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:54 am

Hey I downloaded it and gave it a go, there's loads of info in it on how to use it great, and then it says go to your website to import words, then when I go to your website the information is repeated all over again *yawn* if I wasn't testing I would of given up an uninstalled by now :-)

The point is, it needs to be easier to get at the CSV files to install, maybe add a link to a custom google search that only searches for *.csv with some keywords.

I want to import some arabic flash cards but I don't want to go looking for CSV files myself :-/ i'd end up importing all types of crap. I want tinyclassroom certified install's :-D

But nice app, like the view flip and the drag up context menu
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby australuke » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:08 am

Hi Blundell, many thanks for taking the time to download and test the application. My apologies for the late reply.

I agree that the website does not currently add value, further it is purely static content which makes for a dull experience. We will be looking to improve that.

Tiny Classroom was initially conceived for the type of language learner who is undertaking a course of study and has daily or weekly word lists that need to be memorized in preparation for the next lesson, hence the focus on importing from CSV. I have always been aware the without the ability to import words directly from the phone from a web based repository that the application would not be very attractive to the average end user. This is reflected by the fairly poor retention/uninstall rate for the application.

I have developed a web service and am currently working on integrating it into the application. This will enable casual learners to access pre-defined word lists directly from their device. This will likely be released in version 1.1 or 1.2 in the coming weeks.

None of the individuals involved in Tiny Classroom have any experience in Arabic. However, I have some contacts in language education who may be able to assist. if you send me an email to support@tinyclassroom.com and describe your current level of ability and the type of vocabulary you wish to learn then I will look at seeing if I can include some relevant Arabic word lists when the web service version is released.

Once again, many thanks for the feedback.
australuke
Freshman
Freshman

Postby australuke » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Tiny Classroom version 1.2 incorporating Tiny Classroom Web has now been released. Under version 1.2 you can access 25,000 words from 10 languages directly from your phone. We currently support Hebrew, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Mandarin, Portuguese, Japanese, Italian, German and French. In this version we have also completed our user interface and performance enhancements.

Tiny Classroom Web has been loaded with word lists based on frequency of speech. It is our view that this provides users with the most useful grouping for large lists of words. In version 1.3 we are intending to introduce a spaced repetition learning mode which will help you to manage such learning lists containing 50 or more words. We will also be looking at providing some additional options for moving between words and some innovations to allow you to configure and download word lists specific to your learning needs directly from Tiny Classroom Web.

Regards, Tiny Classroom Team.
australuke
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Promote your Android Application