Sell Your Apps on Handango Now Available!

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Sell Your Apps on Handango Now Available!

Postby NevinM » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 pm

You can now upload your apps to Handango as either freeware, shareware or commercial. I uploaded my first app 2 nights ago. I don't think that the apps will be available to be sold until the Dream is released, but you can atleast upload them now. I am glad that app sales are not limited to the Android Market. Google needs to fix a few things to help support the developer community. These are the three things that I feel need to be fixed with the Android Market before the launch of the Dream(G1):

a) Support shareware and commercial software from the launch. (Developers have been developing for many months and its time for them to get paid. It is a slap in the face to only support freeware on launch).

b) Get a web presence! (Many people would prefer to shop for apps on their computer rather than on their android phone)

c) The idea that developers are supposed to deal with the carriers is a joke. Why are we adding another middle man. I would rather Google take a cut from my app sales rather than me deal with a bunch of individual carriers.

Just my thoughts. What do other developers think?

Nevin
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Postby ninor » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 am

Thanks for the info! :)

And of course I agree with these complaints/statements
Image AndDev: Your Android Development Community / Tutorials | Here's my Basic ToolKit
ninor

Postby EwanG » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:01 pm

I've heard that they (Handango) take a pretty significant share of the proceeds if you are selling an app, and that they promote the paid apps over the unpaid ones that might be similar (of course CNET's Download.com does the same). What's the scoop?

First version of my first game will probably be free (so I can have something available at launch), but the second version of the game, and the second game I'm working on will probably be a couple bucks each.
EwanG
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:14 pm

I don't really like Handago, don't know really why, probably because it's full of wimo crap software which is way to expensive :). I like the concept of market and app store (and andappdownload.org (or what was it), or the other one): Download straight from your phone, though a web site IS nescessairy!

And I second your complaints.
MrSnowflake

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:12 am

Yeah, I've heard of sth. between 30-70%, what is far to high imo :!:

http://slideme.org seems to offer a much fairer business model, with just like 3% of revenue share. (Only free would be better :P )
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AndAppStore.com » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:46 am

The figures I've seen for handango are;

They take 50% if you sell less than 250,000 USD, 40% for 250,000 to 1,000,000 USD, and 30% beyond that (yes, thats right.... 50% up to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars!!!).

Further to that, if you're a non-US developer you could be looking at a 30% withholding due to IRS rules (This could also apply to slideme as they appear to be a US company).

If you have your own PayPal account you can always use AndAppStore.com which uses your account directly for payments related to your app instead of holding on to it, taking a cut for payment processing and reseller tax charges, and then passing it on.

Al.
AndAppStore.com
AndAppStore.com
Freshman
Freshman

Postby papaya » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:37 am

good news.
papaya
Freshman
Freshman

Postby oxonom » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:35 am

50% for only listing in a directory?

Do they write reviews and tests for that price as well?

I agree with plusminus that the price for listing is too high. But you could sell it there for another price tag.

If you aim to sell $5 at Android Market and have to to leave 5% to the Google Checkout. You'll have to sell for about $10 at Handago to get the same revenue.
oxonom
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Promote your Android Application