RockOn - Music Player with cool UI + more

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

How do you rate RockOn

1 star
No votes
2 stars
No votes
3 stars
50%
4 stars
No votes
5 stars
50%

Total votes : 2

RockOn - Music Player with cool UI + more

Postby fabrantes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce you RockOn, a music player for Android I have developed.

It has a nice all-graphic UI interface making it the player of choice if you prefer browsing your music library by album art. The main features are:

* Cool album art navigation UI
* Location-aware concert info of your library's artists (uses Last.FM API).
* One of the most effective album art fetchers we know (uses Last.FM API).

It is available for purchase @ Andappstore and SlideMe for $1.99, or for free at the website (im still unsure on the business model - or if it will be for profit at all):

http://abrantix.org/rockon.php

In the next couple of week it should be also available in the Market.

Please let me know if you like it or not, what would you change or add...

Also, I'd be happy to discuss implementation details.

Cheers,
Filipe

Here are some screenshots:
Attachments
device-menuingrid.png
device-menuingrid.png (118.51 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
device-search-vic.png
device-search-vic.png (72.5 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
device-land-aenima.png
device-land-aenima.png (89.59 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
device-concert-search-7050.png
device-concert-search-7050.png (24.5 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
device-gnrappetite.png
device-gnrappetite.png (112.21 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
fabrantes
Developer
Developer

Postby miguel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi Filipe,

Congratulations, RockOn is with no doubt the coolest music player available for Android. To make it perfect add just a scrobbler for last.fm

Best regards,
Miguel
miguel
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby fabrantes » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Thanks!

Last.fm scrobbling should be included within the next 2 weeks... as soon as I finish adding playlists :P

Cheers,
Filipe
fabrantes
Developer
Developer

Postby miguel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Cool ;) I'll be waiting for the next release.

Just one more thing, Concerts seems not to work properly. It only shows concerts in United States that if far way from my location and from the distance i choose.

Keep on the good job to bring the coolest music player for Android.

Best regards,
Miguel
miguel
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby fabrantes » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:56 pm

hmmm, that is weird, do you have your location tracking disabled? (or maybe you dont have internet connection
fabrantes
Developer
Developer

Postby miguel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Yes, I've location tracking enabled (Use wireless networks - Location determined by Wi-Fi and/or mobile networks) and at the moment i'm using wi-fi. My internet data plan runs out of limits so at the moment i can't try with 3G.
miguel
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby fabrantes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:30 am

thats weird, My only guess is that your wifi connection is not giving you the connectivity... or maybe something is wrong in the code ... but I havent heard of this happening before... will have a look
fabrantes
Developer
Developer

Postby miguel » Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi Filipe,

I just download the new version of RockOn and wanna tell you that the concerts info are working well now and i found that some of my favorite bands will act soon in my country ;)

Also in this new version i think there is an error but i can't see it because its to blur in the background. The background image don't appear (and when scrolling the album art the image take some seconds to appears and it's a litle bit slow than the previous version that i tested - just notice that in this version is a preference that we can choose ;)

About the new features, I liked the new pause and play buttons and the effect looks great. The new away to select songs in a album is also very handy and useful. The ability to scrobbling to last.fm is great, thanks. Also liked the settings available for configure RockOn.

Keep on the good job on doing the Music Player for Android with the coolest UI.

Just one more suggestion. I've seen a concert that i probably will go and i wanted to share with my friends. It would be very handy if we could do this in RockOn because not all of my friends use last.fm and i have to see their emails in gmail and then send the suggestion on last.fm website.

Best Regards,
Miguel
miguel
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby fabrantes » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 pm

miguel wrote:Hi Filipe,

I just download the new version of RockOn and wanna tell you that the concerts info are working well now and i found that some of my favorite bands will act soon in my country ;)

Also in this new version i think there is an error but i can't see it because its to blur in the background. The background image don't appear (and when scrolling the album art the image take some seconds to appears and it's a litle bit slow than the previous version that i tested - just notice that in this version is a preference that we can choose ;)

About the new features, I liked the new pause and play buttons and the effect looks great. The new away to select songs in a album is also very handy and useful. The ability to scrobbling to last.fm is great, thanks. Also liked the settings available for configure RockOn.

Keep on the good job on doing the Music Player for Android with the coolest UI.

Just one more suggestion. I've seen a concert that i probably will go and i wanted to share with my friends. It would be very handy if we could do this in RockOn because not all of my friends use last.fm and i have to see their emails in gmail and then send the suggestion on last.fm website.

Best Regards,
Miguel

Hi Miguel,

yes the new UI is a bit slower, I will be reverting the default to how it was before...

good suggestion about the concert sharing :-)

will be looking into that as soon as possible

thanks
fabrantes
Developer
Developer

Postby miguel » Fri May 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Just received my CupCake update today. I'll update soon after backup all my data.

My question is if RockOn is compatible with the 1.5 firmware?

About future releases what do you think of the possibily to add a countdown timer to shutdown RockOn? I love to listen music when i go to bed but sometimes i let me sleep and in the morning when i wake up the batery of my G1 is drain. Another sugestion is the possibility to see the band biography in RockOn. I know this feature is more when we use last.fm to listen recommendations of new bands, but i think i'll be handy because sometimes we have music but dont know there origins.

About the concerts share, i'm glad that you liked my suggestion. It's great to help with new ideas to make RockOn even better.

In your first post you said that you will be happy to discuss implementation details. I'm tryng to make an app that could set a timer for stopping the defualt music player. Can you give me some info and where to look how to interact with the default android music player.

Best regards,
Miguel
miguel
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby fabrantes » Fri May 08, 2009 5:17 pm

miguel wrote:Just received my CupCake update today. I'll update soon after backup all my data.

My question is if RockOn is compatible with the 1.5 firmware?

About future releases what do you think of the possibily to add a countdown timer to shutdown RockOn? I love to listen music when i go to bed but sometimes i let me sleep and in the morning when i wake up the batery of my G1 is drain. Another sugestion is the possibility to see the band biography in RockOn. I know this feature is more when we use last.fm to listen recommendations of new bands, but i think i'll be handy because sometimes we have music but dont know there origins.

About the concerts share, i'm glad that you liked my suggestion. It's great to help with new ideas to make RockOn even better.

In your first post you said that you will be happy to discuss implementation details. I'm tryng to make an app that could set a timer for stopping the defualt music player. Can you give me some info and where to look how to interact with the default android music player.

Best regards,
Miguel

I have tested it on a dev phone with 1.5 and it works without problems.

About your idea to set up a timer for the default app one thing that might work would be an app (implementing a background service) that could send an intent (broadcastIntent) that the default music player can understand (for instance a MediaButton intent to pause media playback). However I dont know if it is possible for an application to send such a intent that is already assigned by the phone... maybe it is.

Another possibility would be to simply extend the default music player (the source is freely availbale through android git repo and the extension would be minimal) to accept a custom intent that your app will send.
fabrantes
Developer
Developer

Postby miguel » Fri May 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks for your fast reply Filipe. I'll try to do what what you said. Have any idea how to get the source code using windows?
miguel
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby fabrantes » Fri May 08, 2009 6:41 pm

fabrantes
Developer
Developer

Postby Dladu » Tue May 12, 2009 10:02 pm

How do you change the background? mine seems to be like a blurred version of whatever was up when I opened it which can get annoying.

Also minor fix.. when you turn off shuffle its miss-spelled Suffle Off

Good app though :)
Dladu
Freshman
Freshman

Postby fabrantes » Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 am

You cant change it... yet. Im working on it as we speak.It happens that the blurred desktop is too much of a performance drag so Im changing this.
fabrantes
Developer
Developer

Return to Promote your Android Application