Question about putting apps on your phone

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Question about putting apps on your phone

Postby dibba » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:19 am

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but if I write a simple little app, can I just copy or download it to my Android phone, or does it have to be "approved" and put into the Google Marketplace for everyone to be able to install as well?
dibba
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Johan Degraeve » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:30 am

you can install it on your phone via USB, have a look here : http://developer.android.com/guide/deve ... s/adb.html

If you want to put your app on the market, then there's no Google approval process
regards,

Johan
Johan Degraeve
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby dibba » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:42 pm

Johan Degraeve wrote:If you want to put your app on the market, then there's no Google approval process

You meant to say "if you DON'T want to put your app on the market" right? Just checking.

Also, thanks for the link to the adb tool, but I must be missing something. I see the commands, like:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1. adb push <local> <remote>
Parsed in 0.029 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

But where do you type those commands from? I'm running Windows 7 if that matters, but I don't see an application to download that you'd run those commands from.

EDIT: OK, I found I already had them, guess I got them when I installed the Android SDK.
dibba
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Johan Degraeve » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:37 pm

dibba wrote:
Johan Degraeve wrote:If you want to put your app on the market, then there's no Google approval process

You meant to say "if you DON'T want to put your app on the market" right? Just checking.

Also, thanks for the link to the adb tool, but I must be missing something. I see the commands, like:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1. adb push <local> <remote>
Parsed in 0.030 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

But where do you type those commands from? I'm running Windows 7 if that matters, but I don't see an application to download that you'd run those commands from.

EDIT: OK, I found I already had them, guess I got them when I installed the Android SDK.

actually you never need Google approval, you just need to get an account (which costs $25 if I'm not mistaking) and then you can put applications on the market.

I'm using Mac so I open a terminal windows and type "adb install .. application name".
I assume in Windows 7 you can do also 'start' 'run' 'cmd' (as in Windows XP and so) ?
regards,

Johan
Johan Degraeve
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby dibba » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:37 am

I get the error message:

"failed to copy: read only file system"

Any ideas on this?

And so if I made a little demo app, what files would I copy to the phone to make it run, all the files in the project and sub folders?
dibba
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Promote your Android Application