MobilePDFViewer, a free offline PDF viewer for Android

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Re: MobilePDFViewer, a free offline PDF viewer for Android

Postby desolat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:27 am

Ecthelion wrote:Hi,

meanwhile I took a look at the document at http://www.scribd.com/doc/29435784/SHAD ... ionage-2-0 (although I had to load the actual PDF elsewhere). From flipping through the first three or four pages I could not see any lost "f"s. Is this only on certain pages? Can you give examples?

Thanks

For example page 2, section "Foreword", 2nd sentence: "Whereas crime is usally the first ...". In text mode the f is missing, in normal mode there is also an aditional space after the "i".

2 more feature requests: How about multitouch support for zooming? Then you could spare the buttons for it and get the interface more clean and the reader would have more of the precious screen space. And how about using the full screen mode for the same purpose?
desolat
Freshman
Freshman

Postby desolat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:33 am

Two other bugs:

The settings are displayed wrong on my HTC Hero 2.1.

When going from portrait to landscape mode and vise versa the reading mode is reset to normal, the zoom level is reset and the last safed page in the document is reopened. This should not happen, the same mode, zoom level and page should be kept.
desolat
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Ecthelion » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:19 am

desolat wrote:For example page 2, section "Foreword", 2nd sentence: "Whereas crime is usally the first ...". In text mode the f is missing, in normal mode there is also an aditional space after the "i".

This seems to be tough to debug. I could not yet track down the bug :( .
2 more feature requests: How about multitouch support for zooming? Then you could spare the buttons for it and get the interface more clean and the reader would have more of the precious screen space. And how about using the full screen mode for the same purpose?

Multi-touch is definitely something I am considering. The problem currently is that the pinch zoom support is supported only in Android 2.0 and later. In order to not shut out Android 1.5 and Android 1.6 devices I will have to provide an own implementation. So please be patient since this will most likely take a while.

I am not so sure about the full screen mode. Yes, on a HVGA screen this will usually add another 10% in screen height (15% in landscape mode). But OTOH it would disable features such as the progress bar and the display of the current page and document title. I'll have to think about it.
Ecthelion
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Ecthelion » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:34 am

desolat wrote:Two other bugs:

I am in the process of reworking the settings page (probably due with v1.3.10). Hopefully this will solve this problem.
When going from portrait to landscape mode and vise versa the reading mode is reset to normal, the zoom level is reset and the last safed page in the document is reopened. This should not happen, the same mode, zoom level and page should be kept.

Hm, I just did a quick test and the reading mode was not reset to normal but stayed in text-only mode, which I set just before. So this works just as intended. You are right, the zoom level gets reset. This was a deliberate choice since the old zoom level often makes little sense with the new screen orientation. Therefore the zoom level is set so that the page fills the width of the screen. I am not sure about your comment on the last saved page since it seems contradictory: You say the "page should be kept" - which I agree to - but complain that the "last saved page" gets reopened, which to me seems to be just the same as the current page. Can you elaborate?
Ecthelion
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby desolat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:06 am

Ecthelion wrote:Hm, I just did a quick test and the reading mode was not reset to normal but stayed in text-only mode, which I set just before. So this works just as intended. You are right, the zoom level gets reset. This was a deliberate choice since the old zoom level often makes little sense with the new screen orientation. Therefore the zoom level is set so that the page fills the width of the screen. I am not sure about your comment on the last saved page since it seems contradictory: You say the "page should be kept" - which I agree to - but complain that the "last saved page" gets reopened, which to me seems to be just the same as the current page. Can you elaborate?

Here's the test case: document was opened before, I'm on page 10, closed the document so this page gets saved.
Now I close the document, reopen it, its again at page 10. I'm in portrait mode, switching to text view. I'm turning pages to page 12. Now I turn the phone to landscape mode -> I'm back at page 10 and back at normal view, not text view. I'm turning pages to page 12, switching again to text mode. Now I turn the phone back to portrait mode -> I'm back at page 10 and in normal mode.

So it seems the settings as last saved when closing the document get restored on each phone turn.

It's also annoying that I have to really close the document to get the current page saved. This should also happen if I switched the application and at some point the app gets closed by the OS. So the user expectation would be: In any case, if I come back to my document I'm again where I stopped.

I also sometimes get to see some memory errors, when turning pages or also when turning the phone.
desolat
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Ecthelion » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:31 pm

desolat wrote:So the user expectation would be: In any case, if I come back to my document I'm again where I stopped.

Agreed. During my quick testing this was just what happened. But I'll take a look at your scenario and do some more testing since it seems it does not always work as intended.
I also sometimes get to see some memory errors, when turning pages or also when turning the phone.

Yes, this is on my list. When working with large bitmap it's easy to run into OutOfMemoryErrors on Android...
Ecthelion
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Ecthelion » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:38 pm

desolat wrote:Two other bugs:

Both bugs should be resolved with the recent version 1.3.10 of MobilePDFViewer.
Ecthelion
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Previous

Return to Promote your Android Application