Looking for testers for my game. :)

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Looking for testers for my game. :)

Postby Enders » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi!

I am looking for a few beta testers for a game I have been working on for android devices. It is just a basic game. But I want to know how well it works on different devices and such. It is using opengl to draw the 2d images.

Things I would like to know are:
Do the graphics render on your device?
Are you able to use the controls?
Are the controls too small or too big?
Any way to improve the game play?

At the moment, the game is in beta. I have a bunch of ideas for additional content. Here are some screen shots of the game.

If you would like to test the game for me. You may download it here: http://www.enders-games.com/vend/olaunch.apk

I will provide details on how to play the game when i message you the location to download it. It is pretty simple (I hope).

UPDATE (2.24.2011): Activity lifecycle was not ending correctly when application was closed. Users had to force close the app to be able to play again. Fixed.

UPDATE (2.25.2011): SriLumpa from GameDev tested the game and images failed to render except a few. Determined that many of my images where not using powers of twos for width and height. Adjusted game images to correct size. Also, through test plays, determined that the velocity controls are useless. Users would just only use the highest velocity. Removed.

UPDATE (2.26.2011): Shattered9 tested the game and images failed to render except the star field and side controls. I determined that a scaling issue was the reason for the other missing images. They were still being drawn, just at a scale of zero. Added code to scale the images correctly for high resolution screens.

UPDATE (2.28.2011): users with large screens mentioned that the controls were too small. Added code to scale the controls for larger screens. The game should now appear the same on any resolution. Included an indicator for your reload.

Image Image
Last edited by Enders on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Enders
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Looking for testers for my game. :)

Postby Shattered9 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm

I am going to be out for a couple days, but if you need a tester using a Droid X you can PM me the details and I will be happy to give it a whirl when I am back home Saturday night/Sunday morning.
Shattered9
Developer
Developer

Postby Enders » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 am

I found an error while testing it again on my phone. It seems after closing the app, and trying to run it again yields a black screen. I uploaded a revision to fix that.
Enders
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Enders » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks to SriLumpa from GameDev, the program failed to load on his device. I determined that android devices with hardware acceleration for opengl fails. That is because of the way I was making my images. I was not using power of twos. 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512

I have changed all of my images to be powers of twos. So it should run now. I am also now opening the game to be download without asking for downloads. But if you do download, please let me know and tell me what you think and also report any errors you find. You can download the game from the first post.
Enders
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Shattered9 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 am

Hmm, should've read this thread before I PM'd you, all well.

I basically had the same results as the other two, however I just downloaded the app maybe an hour ago when I first got home so I figure I would be using the updated version.
Shattered9
Developer
Developer

Postby Enders » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 am

Okay, thanks to shattered9's testing efforts (failed several times) :(
I think i may have determined why some of the images were not drawing on the screen.

When I originally coded my game, I wanted to make it look the same on all screen sizes. So I would scale the field determining a 480 pixel width. My phone's width is 240. So when I divide 240 by 480. I get a half scaled down game on my phone. But, I didn't code for what should happen when somebody does have a resolution of 480 or higher. So with high resolution devices, it would assume a scale of zero. it should have been a one.

I have uploaded a revised version for testing. :) Please let me know.
Enders
Freshman
Freshman

Postby BenjaminJC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:15 am

Hey there Enders,

It looks like your game is about...space....hmmm....

Ah, I get it - Enders game. : D
O. S. Card fan?
Scoreloop
Get in the loop.
BenjaminJC
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Enders » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:55 am

lol funny

yes, i do like Ender's Game. And yes, I do have a whole shelf full of ideas for space games. :p

And I have put in another revision. Updates in this revision are larger controls for higher resolution screens, a reload indicator, and a slightly better looking star field (I think i may need to keep working on that though...Trying to get best gradient quality with lowest file size as it is my largest texture 512x512.)
Enders
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Openxcell » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Enders wrote:Hi!

I am looking for a few beta testers for a game I have been working on for android devices. It is just a basic game. But I want to know how well it works on different devices and such. It is using opengl to draw the 2d images.

Things I would like to know are:
Do the graphics render on your device?
Are you able to use the controls?
Are the controls too small or too big?
Any way to improve the game play?

At the moment, the game is in beta. I have a bunch of ideas for additional content. Here are some screen shots of the game.

If you would like to test the game for me. You may download it here: http://www.enders-games.com/vend/olaunch.apk

I will provide details on how to play the game when i message you the location to download it. It is pretty simple (I hope).

UPDATE (2.24.2011): Activity lifecycle was not ending correctly when application was closed. Users had to force close the app to be able to play again. Fixed.

UPDATE (2.25.2011): SriLumpa from GameDev tested the game and images failed to render except a few. Determined that many of my images where not using powers of twos for width and height. Adjusted game images to correct size. Also, through test plays, determined that the velocity controls are useless. Users would just only use the highest velocity. Removed.

UPDATE (2.26.2011): Shattered9 tested the game and images failed to render except the star field and side controls. I determined that a scaling issue was the reason for the other missing images. They were still being drawn, just at a scale of zero. Added code to scale the images correctly for high resolution screens.

UPDATE (2.28.2011): users with large screens mentioned that the controls were too small. Added code to scale the controls for larger screens. The game should now appear the same on any resolution. Included an indicator for your reload.

Image Image

Are you a professional game developer looking for long term work or short term.
Openxcell
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Promote your Android Application