HELP needed! Test on real device

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

HELP needed! Test on real device

Postby mortefer » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Hello guys,
Could you please test the app attached. I don't have an actual device and emulator shows me some geometry bugs (like objects seen through the objects, or parts of the objects are missing, etc.). Those bugs are only visible from certain points of view (or to be more correct - not visible from certain points of view, because from all the rest they are :) ). Rotate camera by tapping the screen and moving the finger, move - up and down keys. exit - Back button.
The loading might be pretty long, at least it is on emulator (15-20 secs), i haven't optimized objects and texture loading yet.

I would really appreciate your feed back.

p.s. also it would be cool if you could post info on how fast is this demo on actual device - because speed on emulator sucks :)
Attachments
QuestEngine.apk
(201.04 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
mortefer
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby mortefer » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Found some interesting thing - when rendering objects separately - there doesnt' seem to be any issues at all - geometry is solid and everything looks great. However adding more and more objects add more geometry issues. Anybody spotted smth like that? Is this an emulator issue or does real phone has the same stuff?

Any help appreciated.
mortefer
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Ultrano » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypv_zRAs4_Y

No texture, it shows all in full-white, with some places shaded a bit in gray.
Please do not use the buggy+slow texture loading, that involves getPixel() !!
Use GLUtils.texImage2D, as shown here:
Code: Select all
protected Texture LoadTexture(int resID){
      Resources res = getContext().getResources();
      Bitmap bmp = BitmapFactory.decodeResource(res,resID);
      int wid = bmp.getWidth();
      int hei = bmp.getHeight();

int[] tmp_tex = new int[1];

g_gl.glGenTextures(1, tmp_tex, 0);
      int tex = tmp_tex[0];
      g_gl.glBindTexture(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D, tex);
      g_gl.glTexParameterf(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL10.GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL10.GL_LINEAR);
      g_gl.glTexParameterf(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL10.GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL10.GL_LINEAR);
      g_gl.glTexParameterf(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL10.GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S,GL10.GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
      g_gl.glTexParameterf(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL10.GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T,GL10.GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

//g_gl.glTexEnvf(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL10.GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE,GL10.GL_REPLACE);

GLUtils.texImage2D(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, bmp, 0);
        bmp.recycle();

return new Texture(wid,hei,tex);
   }

no need to change your glTexParameterf() calls or anything else but the glTexImage2D() -> GLUtils.texImage2D().

Well, there's a slight chance the bug about missing textures is in the glTexParameterf, so toy around.
Hey, maybe your texture-sizes are different than powers-of-two (the G1 doesn't support NPOT).

For the next test, it's best to add debug-output, printing to the file "/sdcard/quest_dbg.txt", I'll send results back.
Btw, for faster tests you can contact me at the IMs in my profile.
Ultrano
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby mortefer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Thank you man! that really helped. ASbout textures, i do use GLUtils and they are a power of 2. the problem might be that textures are JPEGs, for the next test i'll implement PNGs. Once again thank you so much.
mortefer
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Promote your Android Application