GRail Train Times (UK only)

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

GRail Train Times (UK only)

Postby luxerama » Sat May 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to find people willing to test my application. It is currently not available on the Google Market as I am not yet confident that all bugs have been ironed out/found.

The application is a useful tool if you happen to travel a lot on the UK rail network. The main feature shows the current arrivals and departures for UK stations and all delays and cancellations. The second feature which is currently under development is a journey planner that lets the user plan their journey from A to B with all changes necessary etc.

A more detailed description and the application itself can be found on the Doing IT blog

Thanks.....
luxerama
Freshman
Freshman

hmmmm

Postby blackbeard » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:35 pm

The link seems dead, but this does sound interesting (I've been Googling around for just such a project), mainly because after getting my new android I noticed the niche that needs filling.

I was thinking that based on the location information of everybody who uses this app you could have a very powerful system that could get you home in the fastest time possible i.e.

!!!!!ALERT quickly run across the platform to platform 3, that train will get you home faster, your train is about to be delayed as the line ahead is blocked!!!!! :p

Worth mentioning is the obvious problem of having to get the rights to gather the live departure boards (as long as the use is non-commercial it shouldn't be a problem bar an email confirming so).

Let me know how this project is going if at all.
blackbeard
Freshman
Freshman

Postby luxerama » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi, as you mention the rights to use the live departure boards is the problem. Unfortunately I haven't been enable to get a license which meant I had to seize development, hence the dead links......
luxerama
Freshman
Freshman

Whycome?

Postby blackbeard » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:54 pm

What was the issue with the licence?

I belive http://traintimes.org.uk/ and the android app "Live UK Train Times" take the same info. From my understanding if the use was non-profit or personal then there would be no issue - otherwise as with "Live UK Train Times" they're happy to negotiate.
blackbeard
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Promote your Android Application