GPoker Beta - Online Multiplayer Poker

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

GPoker Beta - Online Multiplayer Poker

Postby Frink » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:52 am

Download v0.1 here

I've been working on a multiplayer online poker game. It's currently in early beta.

I have included some AI players for now while the game is in testing and there aren't going to be many players around.

Eventually I'll be hoping to have a free version (basically playing as a guest) and a cheap paid version (to cover server costs) that will have some decent features, in the future, tournaments and prizes etc. (Not paid poker, since I obviously don't have a license)
Last edited by Frink on Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Frink
Developer
Developer

Postby Frink » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:23 pm

An update, the android client is almost ready for first testing.

It's butt ugly, but once the game logic is down then its all easy sailing.

At the minute I can play with my dummy AI players, and another client on my phone. Will need some testers soon in a few days :)

Trying to get this polished and ready for sale before my university term starts again (gives me 8 weeks)

It will cost to run a server, so can't be free when its ready, but I'm thinking of having a trial user type thing.

The free app will play as a guest, unable to save your chip count, records etc. no chat, and possibly a time limit (10 minutes at a time? idk)

Paying users can have their own usernames, keep track of chips, play at pay-only tables.

What do people think to that as a free/pay system?
Frink
Developer
Developer

Postby Frink » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Besides noone seeming interested. I like to post things on forums :)

Here's a screenshot of the game play. There's a few things that need fixing on the layout, I think I want something nicer for 'Fold' and 'Bet', and the icons in the corners haven't been finished. Any comments, good or bad, would be welcomed :)

I've done a fair bit of testing with the game on my mobile phone, I can maintain a ping time of about 500ms without using the WiFi connection. Using the phone, it seems almost instantaneous, which I'm happy about :)

It actually runs considerably smoother on my phone without wifi, than it does with the android emulator connecting locally :roll:
Frink
Developer
Developer

Postby Frink » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Even though nobody has shown the slightest interest, I'll update here again :)

Things are almost ready for a public beta, I am just adding the finishing touches to the account managements side of things (tracking chips etc)

I have just completed an AI system, so if a table goes empty then 2 / 3 dummy players will join who you can play along with - and they will leave when there are atleast 2 other humans. (Obviously there will be tables that are no AI, so people can play 1v1)

Might sound a bit lame but, I'm quite impressed with the speed that this thing runs at. I had tested out all other poker games available for a while, and between the UI and the lag to the server it's been less than exciting to play.

I'm not going to put it on the market yet, but should have a demo for people to test on here and a few other places in a day or two :)
Frink
Developer
Developer

Postby Dmitry.Skiba » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:14 pm

Frink wrote:Even though nobody has shown the slightest interest, I'll update here again :)

I wish I can play poker :)
But I like the UI, do you draw it in OpenGL on plain Canvas?
Dmitry.Skiba
Developer
Developer

Postby Frink » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Originally I had planned to work with OpenGL (I have some experience using it with java on desktops), but I figured there wouldn't be too much going on, it might be unneccesary development / debugging.

I had a go with using canvas, it was easy enough to do, but just for an experiment I tried going even simpler and using split up PNG's and Views. Turns out, for this game anyways, the easiest and fastest to code also becomes the quickest on the phone. Since there's no animation, it responds instantly and seems to work well :)

I don't intend on using this method on some other games I have in mind, they'll be a bit more graphically. The main job (by far) with this game was getting the server / client stuff to send as little data as possible. I've gotten the average 6 player game at about 1kb of data sent and received - which I think is pretty decent going, and makes the game play just as smooth through 3G as a desktop poker game would online.
Frink
Developer
Developer

Postby Dmitry.Skiba » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Frink wrote:Originally I had planned to work with OpenGL (I have some experience using it with java on desktops), but I figured there wouldn't be too much going on, it might be unneccesary development / debugging.

I had a go with using canvas, it was easy enough to do, but just for an experiment I tried going even simpler and using split up PNG's and Views. Turns out, for this game anyways, the easiest and fastest to code also becomes the quickest on the phone. Since there's no animation, it responds instantly and seems to work well :)

I don't intend on using this method on some other games I have in mind, they'll be a bit more graphically. The main job (by far) with this game was getting the server / client stuff to send as little data as possible. I've gotten the average 6 player game at about 1kb of data sent and received - which I think is pretty decent going, and makes the game play just as smooth through 3G as a desktop poker game would online.

Ha, sweet solution :)

Although it would nice to have some (or all) layouts to work in OpenGL. With animations and all.. Maybe I eventually do it.
Dmitry.Skiba
Developer
Developer

Postby Frink » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:10 pm

Okay, I've got an early test going, if people want to try it out I'd very much appreciate :)

Mostly looking for feedback on in-game testing, I know the menu's can be a bit sloppy (let me know if somethings terrible)

I'll try and leave the server going for a while :)

(link in top thread)
Frink
Developer
Developer

Postby Derek5432 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:18 am

Hi Frink. I'm getting "Unable to connect to game server." Is the server still up?
Derek5432
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Frink » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 am

Hi,

No, it's not up at the minute. I have 2 projects on at the minute, and decided to switch my focus over to the other.

I'm working on a 2D OpenGL tme engine at the minute.

I got your message about network programming, it's not actually as hard as you might think. Socket programming on Android is identical to normal Java, so there's plenty of help. The sun guide, http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial ... g/sockets/ is pretty much all you need.

In terms of how to make a good multiplayer game on Android, you will want to minimize the amount of data transferred to as low as possible.

I'm debating whether to make my poker game open source (the server is actually written in VB.net, for the purpose of being lazy) to help get across decent networking protocols, but it won't be for a little while yet.
Frink
Developer
Developer

Return to Promote your Android Application