[APP][2.2+] Fresco (NASA Astronomy Picture Of the Day viewer

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

[APP][2.2+] Fresco (NASA Astronomy Picture Of the Day viewer

Postby Toverbal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:03 am

Link: Fresco

I would like to share with you guys an app I recently finished called Fresco. With Fresco you can view images posted on the Astronomy Picture of the Day website of NASA. Every image has an explanation written by a professional astronomer and every image ever posted on this website is available in this app (starting somewhere back in 1995) and the goal was to create a very polished, responsive, fast and easy to use interface while being very feature rich.

Screenshots:
Image Image Image Image

Features
* View over 8200 images (from APOD and Nasa Image of the day) with new ones being downloaded every day
* Mark images as favorites
* View a random image with one button click (I use it to find cool pictures and stories, you can cycle through all images or your favorites)
* View a grid with image archive (with ascending, descending and random sorting)
* Full Text Search for images (e.g. searching for 'apollo moon armstrong' will show all images containing those words, the index uses [url="http://tartarus.org/~martin/PorterStemmer/"]Porter Stemming Algorithm[/url])
* Double click an image to view it full-size and you can zoom it
* Set image as wallpaper
* Automatically set wallpaper to today's image as soon as it's downloaded (my favorite)
* Share images (via all channels available on your device)

Why it was made
For a long time I was used to a similar app called NasaImages, but it disturbed me that it had a sluggish interface, showed wrong dates and was not able to correctly show 'special characters' like ë and ß. Also i would have liked to set the wallpaper automatically when a new image was downloaded. I addressed all these issues and tried to create a very fast, very polished, simple and yet feature-rich 'replacement' app which is developed using the latest design guidelines. Fresco is the result :)

The name?
There's an image of two astronauts reaching with their fingers to one another like Michelangelo's painting in the Sistine Chapel (the creation of Adam). I found that image very touching and decided to use it as icon of the app. Wall paintings like the creation of Adam are called frescoes, so that's how I came up with the name (well, actually my girlfriend came up with it, so I guess I should say thanks honey :)).

Why this post?
First of all, every developer wants to share his creation because he/she wants to entertain or help others with a problem he/she has had. For me it's no different, I love this app and everyday I wake up I can't wait to check the new image posted and I want to share my excitement with you guys. Second, this is my first serious attempt to create an Android app and I am curious how people think I've done so far. The app is completely free of charge, although it is ad-supported. This is because the images are indexed on my own VPS and that has to be paid and I hope to do that with this app and my future apps :)

Who am I?
My name is Jori and I live in the Netherlands in a small town called Purmerend (close to Amsterdam). I am a software engineer for a company that creates CRM software and in my free time Iove to play handball, expand my coding skills and spend time with my family.

Closing words
I hope you like (the idea) of this app and hopefully you guys can give me some feedback :) At least let me thank you for reading.

Link
Play store: Fresco

QR

Changelog
1.4.1 (mar 5, 2013)
- [3.0+] Fixed issue with the picture frame widget not fully resizing on high resolution devices

1.4.0 (mar 3, 2013)
- Rewrote background worker mechanism, this should fix all 'freeze' situations and make Fresco a lot more responsive (like it should)
- [3.0+] Added (scrollable) home screen widgets for today's image (Picture frame, just text or both)
- Fresco now chooses an appropriate location for cached images and this location is now editable in settings
- Notifications of new wallpapers didn't work until the app was started at least once
- In the select wallpaper dialog you can now open Fresco (to read the text of the image)
- Removed unused space on imageview (sometimes the text was even not visible without scrolling while half of the screen was black)
- [3.0+]Widgets are now clickable
- Automatically setting an IOTD image as wallpaper could fail
1.3.1 and 1.3.2 (jan 28, 2013)
- Tried to fix an OutOfMemory issue

1.3.0 (jan 27, 2013)
- Added a complete archive of the Nasa image of the day (iotd) images (found on NASA - Home), over 2300!
- Added the latest iotd to the wallpaper selection screen
- Clarified the tabs on the wallpaper selection screen by making the page indicator lines thicker and moving them to the top
- Improved image resizing of smaller images (they will now stretch)
- Improved memory utilization when opening large images

1.2.1 (jan 21, 2013)
- Some devices still had problems with stretching wallpapers, fixed that now!

1.2.0 (jan 20, 2013)
- Setting a wallpaper will stretch to full screen now! (thanks for reporting this one)
- Auto set wallpaper has now a new option in which you can if and how you want to be notified if a new wallpaper is available (see screenshot)
- Images are initially rendered larger now so it looks more epic and when double clicking it'll open the full-screen view and zoom in automatically
- When you select a random image, you can now scroll back and forth through the selected images
- Retrieval of latest entries was slow when initializing the database for the first time
- Fixed Android 2.2 compatibility issues (crashes)
- Fixed a whole bunch of crashes: restoring Fresco after a long period, setting a video as wallpaper (disabled now), when initializing the Fresco database (sometimes the dialog was already dismissed)

1.1.1 (jan 10, 2013)
- Added a Dutch translation for images where available (starting from january 1st, 2005). Fresco will automatically select a language for you, but it can be changed in the settings screen.
- Every image has a unique id now (a code)
- At the image archive you can now select an image not only by date, but also by code
- You can now import (or merge) and export favorites
- You can open the source webpage of an image
- Added information about the source of the images in the settings dialog

1.0.1 (jan 3, 2013)
- Initial public version
Toverbal
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Promote your Android Application