C64 Remake soon finished. Looking for testers.

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

C64 Remake soon finished. Looking for testers.

Postby Jompe71 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm soon finished with an Android version/remake of a classic old school C64 game called "Deflektor".
Since I'm not the lucky owner of a G1 I'm looking for someone to test it later on a real device.

Please send me a PM if youre interested and you'll get a copy sent to you when it's finished.

So far:
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby plusminus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Hm :) that looks like I'll be wasting a couple of hours :D
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jompe71 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Progress is going "slow". I've got to keep up with my day job and the spare time is limited. :?
Current status is that the online/offlie hiscore mode is now working and the game is "playable". There is stil some bg-music/sound fx to work out and the final graphical touch (not much left there though...).

If you got time to answer some questions...

1.) What SDK version does the G1 support. 0.9, 1.0 ? Or is it redundant?
2.) I was looking into the Android market. Is this the "only" way to distribute games, even free ones (the $25 sounds bullshit to me)?
3.) Even if it's old, will any of you play the game?
4.) Any developers out there, is the emulator trustable, i.e. If it works in dito will it work on the G1?
There is no school like old school gaming.
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby plusminus » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:39 pm

Jompe71 wrote:Progress is going "slow". I've got to keep up with my day job and the spare time is limited. :?
Current status is that the online/offlie hiscore mode is now working and the game is "playable". There is stil some bg-music/sound fx to work out and the final graphical touch (not much left there though...).

2.) I was looking into the Android market. Is this the "only" way to distribute games, even free ones (the $25 sounds bullshit to me)?
4.) Any developers out there, is the emulator trustable, i.e. If it works in dito will it work on the G1?

1.) SDK 1.0 will work
2.) By paying the 25$ you get an immediate audiance of millions of possible users, which you will get on none of ever rising alternativ-markets. My apps were overall downloaded about 50k. Its worth it :!: (Free alternatives are: slideme.org, andappstore.com, phoload.com )
3.) I will, the screenshot looks really neat.
4.) As long as you are not sensor-stuff (like gps/accelerometer) and though of the fact that the user often slides in/out the keyboard (leads to new onDestroy/onCreate-Cycle) your fine. I'd ask someone with a G1 in private to test it before putting it to public.

Btw: Did you get it scaled up for HVGA? How does it look?

Best Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GasBot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:43 pm

plusminus wrote:
Jompe71 wrote:Progress is going "slow". I've got to keep up with my day job and the spare time is limited. :?

1.) SDK 1.0 will work
2.) By paying the 25$ you get an immediate audiance of millions of possible users, which you will get on none of ever rising alternativ-markets. My apps were overall downloaded about 50k. Its worth it :!: (Free alternatives are: slideme.org, andappstore.com, phoload.com )
4.) As long as you are not sensor-stuff (like gps/accelerometer) and though of the fact that the user often slides in/out the keyboard (leads to new onDestroy/onCreate-Cycle) your fine. I'd ask someone with a G1 in private to test it before putting it to public.

Best Regards,
plusminus

Has there even been a million G1's sold? I don't think there's quite that many users just yet. But the potential for millions of users is only a matter of time given the open platform.
GasBot
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby plusminus » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:34 pm

GasBot wrote:
plusminus wrote:

1.) SDK 1.0 will work

Best Regards,
plusminus

Has there even been a million G1's sold? I don't think there's quite that many users just yet. But the potential for millions of users is only a matter of time given the open platform.

Ok, it was sth. like 500.000 but wait a year and multiply by 10 ;)
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jompe71 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:06 pm

I tried it (just the x2 factor in both x and y coords though.).
It worked, but I think some of the gfx lost it's touch though.
I'll try another workaround since just swithing to HVGA-L (with the current code) just placed everything top left which wasn't good either.
Asking my gfx artist to rescale all tiles and gfx is really to much to ask. :wink:

Never the less I expect to finish a playable version (for testing on a G1) by the end of next week. I'll get in thouch with you guys who "signed in" as testers and send you a version.
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby GasBot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:47 pm

I wouldn't mind testing this out for you as well. Also, if you need any help scaling the graphics, I can see what I can do!
GasBot
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby plusminus » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:28 pm

Btw: To check better how it feels on a G1 run the emulator with:

Code: Select all
-scale 0.6

It might turn out that things are to small :?
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jompe71 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:35 pm

All atempts to scale the graphics in any form has so far only made it disorted, skewed or blur. This leaves me to using it as is, i.e. 1:1.
Now how do I best fit it into any resolution. Since the game screen in total is 320x240, using QVGA handles itself.

But what about *-L modes. Whats you opinion ?

1). Center it in both x|y-axis.
2). Center in x-axis but align bottom i y-axis.
3). Any other?

Input needed... :D

+/-

Code:
-scale 0.6

Don't really know what you're at here. This also rescaled the gfx which isn't what will happen on a G1?
If it was some atempt to visualize the actual G1 screen size, I assume this only shows something in relation to how big a pixel is on the LCD screen you have?
If it was something else, please elaborate...
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby plusminus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Jompe71 wrote:All atempts to scale the graphics in any form has so far only made it disorted, skewed or blur. This leaves me to using it as is, i.e. 1:1.
Now how do I best fit it into any resolution. Since the game screen in total is 320x240, using QVGA handles itself.

But what about *-L modes. Whats you opinion ?

1). Center it in both x|y-axis.
2). Center in x-axis but align bottom i y-axis.
3). Any other?

Input needed... :D

+/-

Code:
-scale 0.6

Don't really know what you're at here. This also rescaled the gfx which isn't what will happen on a G1?
If it was some atempt to visualize the actual G1 screen size, I assume this only shows something in relation to how big a pixel is on the LCD screen you have?
If it was something else, please elaborate...

What I meant is that the emulator on your pc-screen is really big, where the G1 is approximately half in size.
You put that parameter to the run-configuration to where you also put things like "-useaudio" and "-wipe-data"

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jompe71 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:18 pm

It's time for you who voluntared as beta testers to get to work. :P
Within a few hours (hopefully) I'll get the app up where you can download it and a beta-testing protocol to go along with it.
You supplying email addresses, will get mail, others a PM.

I really appriciate you testers singung up and taking the time!

...and now it's sent !
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Jompe71 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:45 am

And now its out!

Or rather it's been out since friday. The number of installations is way over my expectations.
Reviews state everything from 1 start to 5, and the average is stable on 3.5.

Now it's time to create my next game... ;)
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 am

Jompe71 wrote:The number of installations is way over my expectations
How much is it?
MrSnowflake

Postby Jompe71 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:51 am

Soon up to 5000. ~60% still active. The active percentage will decrease over time, I'm sure. But there is a demand for free apps on the market, thats for sure.
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Next

Return to Promote your Android Application