C64 Remake soon finished. Looking for testers.

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Postby marix » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Jompe71 wrote:Soon up to 5000. ~60% still active. The active percentage will decrease over time, I'm sure. But there is a demand for free apps on the market, thats for sure.

Not sure if you are done w/ this app or not, but a few things that would make it shine, when you overheat the laser because of feedback it displays the same game over message as when you run out of batteries.

Also increasing and decreasing the duration of the battery would add replayability to the game by giving it skill levels.

A better explaination of how to play the game would also be a good idea, the help is fairly useless and poorly written.

Perhaps a method of shrinking the filesize a bit should be looked into, 4mb for a remake of a game that used to take up 64k seems a bit high.

Other than that, i have no complaints.
marix
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Jompe71 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:26 am

Thanks fot the inupt.
There will be updates to the game. Many people have complained about the info text. This will be rewritten. Some of it may rely to my bad english. When I wrote it I thought it was a masterpiece though... :?

The battery time will be slightly increased. This will apply to all levels.
The filesize is due to the fact that the music is about 2.5MB and the graphics nowdays has more than 16 colors.

If there was a way to store the music file on sdcard and read it from there it would be an option to save internal phone memory, but the size would be the same.
There is no school like old school gaming.
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby marix » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:24 am

Jompe71 wrote:Thanks fot the inupt.
There will be updates to the game. Many people have complained about the info text. This will be rewritten. Some of it may rely to my bad english. When I wrote it I thought it was a masterpiece though... :?

The battery time will be slightly increased. This will apply to all levels.
The filesize is due to the fact that the music is about 2.5MB and the graphics nowdays has more than 16 colors.

If there was a way to store the music file on sdcard and read it from there it would be an option to save internal phone memory, but the size would be the same.

could the music be down sampled? Considering its never going to be played on anything decent, i think a 64kbps bit rate would be about right with no noticeable depreciation in quality.

Thanks,
Andrew
marix
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Jompe71 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:35 am

could the music be down sampled?

Don't know. As a matter a fact I really don't now much at all about music formats, rates etc.
Now it's an ogg file and of course the format can be changed into another smaller one.
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Phiow » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 am

Not sure where you're soliciting bug reports. But I've noticed that the level codes are wonky. When I completed level 1, it gave me code WGTY4WS, which takes me to level 3! And when I finished level 2, it gave me SLLX7QX, which takes me to level 4! Looks like they're shifted by one.

As a general note, the use of level codes is cumbersome on a mobile. Normally, I don't have paper and pencil handy when I'm using my cell phone to play games somewhere out in the world. Could the game be made to remember which levels have been seen, so you can just select a the starting level from those previously accessed? Also, I often find that I miss the level code because I'm frantically pressing the trackball to rotate the last mirror that wins the level, and so I also click through the level code. Some special interaction, distinct from the button that rotates mirrors, should be used to click through the level code...

Otherwise, GREAT WORK. In my distant youth, I played the original Deflektor (alot) on Atari ST. I still remember that music fondly. What a treat when I woke to find this game in the App Marketplace... ;)

Also, if you can't find anyone to re-do the game's graphics tiles at a larger size (so you can go full screen on the G1), let me know. I could definately take a stab at that for you...
Phiow
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby Jompe71 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:10 am

Not sure where you're soliciting bug reports

Bug reports are always welcome. I don't really have a common place to collect them.
Thats why I'm fishing after them on forums. :)

The level code thingy will be fixed in the next version, among other things. Thanks for reporting!
I will also try to figure out a neat way to avoid clicking away the codes by misstake.
Also some other players have requested similar feature of somehow storing the codes and/or the levels you complete in order to continue where you left of more quickly. I'll try to work on that as well.

Also I'll try to push more in the game for using the online hiscoring. Looking at the score tables it seems as most players either a) Don't play the game at all or b) Play with offline hiscoring.

The online hiscore table can be viewed @ RumbleX.
Perhaps an informative scrolling message when viewing the list in the game?

I used to play it on the C64, and also a lot. I also remembered I got really frustrated on it... :wink:
Jompe71
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Previous

Return to Promote your Android Application