BubbleBazinga - my first android game

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

BubbleBazinga - my first android game

Postby BananoTron » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:42 pm

hey folks,

i'm searching for someone who wants to test my first android game on a real device. by using just the emulator i can't tell if i'm doing everything in the correct way.
this is also my first post in this forum. please let me know if this is the right place to ask for testers.

the .apk file can be loaded with this url:
http://www.rastaduck.org/cgi-bin/apkloa ... signed.apk
or go to
http://www.rastaduck.org/tmp/android/
and click the download link.

game controls: use the touchpad to aim the cannon and fire the next bubble with a short tap on the touch pad.

the game is not doing anything fancy with the device sensors, it's just a simple ball game which should work with the touchpad.

i'm especially interested
+ if the loading of the highscore works in the main menu
+ if the gameplay is ok (or does it suck with the touchpad)
+ lifecycle in general (does it load, does it exit nicely, what happens when you switch between applications)
+ is keyboard input working (player name field)
+ is the game running smoothly

photos of the game running on the device would be highly appreciated!

thx in advance!
BananoTron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BananoTron » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:14 pm

hello? is there anyone out there?
BananoTron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:21 pm

Been on vacation.
I'll try when I'm back home (and don't forget).
Leave me a PM.

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby marix » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:11 pm

BananoTron wrote:hello? is there anyone out there?

Just installed and ran it, it decided to crash after the 3rd height drop on the first level. Will continue working with it to see if i can recreate.
marix
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby marix » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:27 pm

i'm especially interested

+ if the loading of the highscore works in the main menu > It works fine in portrait, with the keyboard up the yourname and play buttons overlay the text and when playing the game in landscape none of the layers of bubbles are viewable. Also the rasta duck logo fades in every time you change from landscape to portrait. (note, this might have to do with the fact that i have a modified version of rc30 that enables views based on the accelerometer.)

+ if the gameplay is ok (or does it suck with the touchpad) >Game play w/ touchpad is fine, i was able to bounce balls off the wall w/ out much thought and get them where i want them. The screen tends to be accurate with the peak of your finger touch, but less so with using your full fingerprint. It probably wouldn't hurt anything to scale the entire display 25 - 50% for additional accuracy or perhaps use that as a method for increasing difficulty.

+ lifecycle in general (does it load, does it exit nicely, what happens when you switch between applications) >
During gameplay it will crash somewhat randomly. but i had no problem with exiting out or accessing other programs while it was running. The back button takes you out of the game instead of to the main screen as i'd expect it to. Is sound supposed to be working, because i've never heard anything out of it.

+ is keyboard input working (player name field) > if the keyboard is out the display is still in portrait mode so typing ends up tilted 90 degrees. I am able to enter in my name just fine however.

+ is the game running smoothly > Speed is great, the bubbles bobble without any issue and animation is smooth as butter.

The crash appears to be related to the popping bubbles after connecting 3 or more, they burst and once that animation is complete the game crashes.
marix
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BananoTron » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:18 pm

hey, thanks for testing. seems like there is quite some work to do. i will get back when i have a new version available.
BananoTron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby marix » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:01 pm

BananoTron wrote:hey, thanks for testing. seems like there is quite some work to do. i will get back when i have a new version available.

No problem, if you need any any clarification on anything please let me know.

thanks,
Andrew
marix
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BananoTron » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:40 pm

i tried fixing the portrait/landscape issue and with a bit of luck i fixed the random crash issue.

if you guys could give it another try, that would be awesome:

http://www.rastaduck.org/cgi-bin/apkloader.cgi?path=ProjectCyan_signed.apk
or go to

i have one question regarding the portrait/landscape issue:
(when the keyboard is out and you hold the device in landscape mode) is the device switching from landscape to portrait automatically when you rotate the device or does this only happen when you slide in the keyboard again?

thx for testing!
BananoTron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby marix » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:16 pm

BananoTron wrote:i tried fixing the portrait/landscape issue and with a bit of luck i fixed the random crash issue.

if you guys could give it another try, that would be awesome:

http://www.rastaduck.org/cgi-bin/apkloader.cgi?path=ProjectCyan_signed.apk
or go to

i have one question regarding the portrait/landscape issue:
(when the keyboard is out and you hold the device in landscape mode) is the device switching from landscape to portrait automatically when you rotate the device or does this only happen when you slide in the keyboard again?

thx for testing!

The crashing is still going on and seems to happen if you connect 3 or more 1 or 2 rounds after the wall shifts down. I was able to enter in my name in landscape mode, which has a different background for some reason, and once i clicked play it asked me to switch to portrait, i believe this is new and works great. I was able to complete finish a round by not making sets after the first drop and it saved my score and displayed it properly, this is now working.

Good job thus far, the crashing still has me puzzled though.

Thanks for the update and keep up the good work.

Andrew
marix
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BananoTron » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:14 pm

i added a piece of code which displays a stacktrace in case of an exception or error. would you mind doing another download via the same url as above and do one more test? (the font for the exception output is very small, so it might be hard to read it)
BananoTron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby marix » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 am

BananoTron wrote:i added a piece of code which displays a stacktrace in case of an exception or error. would you mind doing another download via the same url as above and do one more test? (the font for the exception output is very small, so it might be hard to read it)

I downloaded and played a few sample games, i don't see any exception output anywhere though. I also found a bug in the "enter your name field" that doesn't allow you to backspace or delete.
marix
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BananoTron » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:15 am

marix wrote:I downloaded and played a few sample games, i don't see any exception output anywhere though. I also found a bug in the "enter your name field" that doesn't allow you to backspace or delete.

That should be fixed now. When did you see that?
BananoTron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby marix » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 am

BananoTron wrote:
marix wrote:I downloaded and played a few sample games, i don't see any exception output anywhere though. I also found a bug in the "enter your name field" that doesn't allow you to backspace or delete.

That should be fixed now. When did you see that?

Just redownloaded and installed from your link. (version #'s would be a good idea)

Anyway i was successful in playing a full round no problem this time. I can now also backspace in the name fields. Looks like most it is now working.
marix
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BananoTron » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:35 am

awesome! thanks for testing! if there's anything buggy or could need some improvement, please let me know.
i wanted to look into the versioning as soon as the major problems are resolved.
BananoTron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby marix » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:40 am

BananoTron wrote:awesome! thanks for testing! if there's anything buggy or could need some improvement, please let me know.
i wanted to look into the versioning as soon as the major problems are resolved.

Yea, everything is working well now. The game it's self is a bit weak and totally unwinable but appears to now be bug free :)
marix
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Next

Return to Promote your Android Application