(BETA) ConneXtBot - ConnectBot for softies

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

(BETA) ConneXtBot - ConnectBot for softies

Postby xcezzz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:52 pm

I have started making ConnectBot actually useful for those of us who have soft keyboards.
These improvements were done to more closely mimic the MobileTerminal.app on the iPhone.
I use my Droid X as a test bed for this and offloading a lot of the input to the screen has sped up my workflow with ConnectBot on this device when needed.

The goal I would like to reach is to never have to change your keyboard layout (even to symbols!) to get the job done using the screen. I am currently working on the overlay adding your most common symbols/characters and escape sequences.

If you can see this quick little example of the already working enhancements speeds up what you need to do and how you do it. I recorded this on the emulator due to ease and resulting quality, although it looks and works exactly the same on my DX
( ok probably helps to have a beast of a screen like the DX :] )

That overlay panel is what I am still working on (as u can see it has only two things atm and looks like ass). I plan to add a few more things and then I will be cleaning up some stuff shortly and changing the report email addresses for beta testing so I can get some more devices actually using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lxr8w3dqQ

I am always looking for inputs and suggestions. I would also like to ask the community what is your most frequently used bash/zsh/sh symbols/characters/commands esc/alt/ctrl sequences that you would see benefit from in speeding up actual input.

I have contacted the original developers for ConnectBot to see how they would like my enhancements to be treated, and for now it is just my need for better support of a non hardware keyboard that caused me to do something and wanting to get outside input to finish up.

Also until I figure out how to get 'git' versioning working proper I wont be forking their original project, just for the sake of cuz I can't figure it out just yet lol.

If you want to play with it lemme know.
xcezzz
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: (BETA) ConneXtBot - ConnectBot for softies

Postby squegie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:20 am

Hi,

I found you on this and one other board looking for a way to press ESC on the droid-X (while in vim).

I would love to try this out. Let me know if you're still working on this.

Thanks,
squegie
squegie
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Promote your Android Application